1. Migration complete. If you are an active member and having problems logging on, please send an email to [email protected]

Hello Guest,

VapingBlips.com is a social community of vapers gathering to discuss all things vaping and life in general. We have contests, play games, babble about nonsense and even share useful info about vape gear, e-liquids and DIY info.

We have no interest in spammers or trolls and our members have tools that allow them to remove offending posts if enough members rate it as spam or trolling.

We hope you like what you see and decide to register and join us.

If you have any questions, feel free to send an e-mail to [email protected] and we hope to see you soon ;)

Political Where I've been and what it taught me.

Discussion in 'Political Banter' started by ghost62, Aug 10, 2021.

1. ghost62

ghost62 Goes Blip In The Night Staff Member Moderator Vendor Safe Zone Moderator

If you are offended by someone speaking their mind, stop reading now because I will not, NOT apologize for my beliefs, statements or viewpoints.

Waiting....

Waiting...

You still here?
    Last chance cuz I am pulling no punches from this point on.

Leave now. Go. Scoot...

2. Shawn Hoefer

Shawn Hoefer Seriously Committed

Waiting...

Waiting...

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

3. MRSpivey

MRSpivey Faith, Hope, & Love...

Still waiting…

4. ghost62

ghost62 Goes Blip In The Night Staff Member Moderator Vendor Safe Zone Moderator

K. Since you're still here, be prepared.
    No political correctness.
    No pulling punches.
    And, if my language offends, so be it.

You chose to be here.

So, where have I been?
    Jail.
    From September of last year, I've been riding a cot.
    Now, you might be thinking, "Damn, he's our moderator? A jail bird? Fuck him."

Don't throw me away that easily, ok?

I've never hid the fact that I am a recovering alcoholic (celebrated 13 years on May 12). No one else celebrated that fact but that's fine by me. I don't need, or deserve, a parade for doing what what every normal person does every day.
    I own a home.
    I have a family.
    I pay my bills and taxes.
    I give back to my community .

So, here comes the problem.

My wife is also a recovering addict and has dedicated her life to helping other addicts lead a productive family life. She works 50- 60 hours a week getting people to meetings, court appointments, job interviews. She acts as as intermediary in family court. I run 5 different meetings in our prison system.

Marion has a huge problem with opioid addiction. We sit on the main interstate corridor from Detroit to all points south. My wife's middle son is in prison. Her daughter spent years as a drug mule and prostitute.

I'm getting there. Trust me.
    And it's gonna get more politically and socially offensive from here on.

Be back when i can...

5. ghost62

Sorry
    Posting from work on break.

To continue, Marion used to have an inpatient treatment facility to work with alcoholics and addicts. It was fairly effective until certain Democratic politicians started putting their own people in charge so that they could claim victories in dealing with our opiate problem.
    They thought it would look good in the elections.
    Unfortunately, it led to multiple allegations of sexual abuse, using residents for basically slave labor doing construction, mowing yards, washing cars and medicare/medicaid/insurance fraud.
    I "coined out" (graduated) in 2008 before all of this took place and I credit it with saving my life. If it were not for
    Foundations Recovery Center, I'd be either dead or in prison.
    The program was court-ordered and residents had two choices - get treatment or go to jail.
    In 2016, there was a shift in local politics and one of the big issues was tackling drug-related crime.
    Foundations was the cherry on the sundae that politicians looked to to boost their popularity.
    They wanted to be seen as "doing something" so they loaded up the staff with people that were loyal to them, regardless of their qualifications.
    While I was there, 7 out of 10 addicts coined out after 6 months and 3 out of 10 achieved long-term sobriety.
    I know that doesn't sound like much, but when dealing with the disease of addiction, those numbers are extraordinary.
    After 2016, they reduced the 6 month program to 90 days, cut out most of the educational programs and the numbers suffered.
    So did the residents.
    Less than 10 percent completed the program and while they were there were used as free labor. Nine staff members were fired for sexual misconduct and there were 4 fatal overdoses in the facility.
    They lost their accreditation over billing fraud and were forced to close.
    In 2017, the county took over the property and offered it up on a fair use lease.
    That's when Carol and I began doing the groundwork to reopen the facility.
    She got her certifications as an LCDC II, Peer support supervisor, and got her bachelors degree in counseling.
    I got my masters in Social Services Administration and a degree in psychology.
    We had grant funds lined up for 3 years, numerous community leaders on board to offer pro bono services (legal services, financial management, a family court liason, a nutritionist, etc...) We had staffers committed.
    Job and Family Services was on board.
    We were approved as a Medicare/Medicaid provider.
    Everything was is place except for one thing - we needed the facility.
    To get that, we had to have the funds.
    We did, contingent on getting the property-kind of a Catch 22. To get the lease, we had to have the funding. To get the funding, we had to have the lease.
    To get around that, we had to provide a "good faith bond" in the amount of $70,000 that would be refunded if we began operation at the facility by a specified date.
    I pulled out equity in our home to raise the cash, confident that everything was on track and we'd be able to pay off the second mortgage when the good faith money was released.
    The final piece of the convoluted puzzle was to have the oversight committee to sign off on the lease.
    Up until May of 2020, the committee was fully in support of our plans.
    Then, one of the judges retired mid-term for health reasons and was replaced by a political appointee.
    An attorney with less than 3 years practice was elevated to judge and forced on the committee with the singular goal of hijacking the work we had done so his political backers could claim a win ahead of the elections.
    Sure, judges are, in theory, supposed to be apolitical but that's not how the world works. At least, not here. Favors are cashed in, deals were made and all of the work we had done ended up in the hands of this little weasel.
    To get the lease, support of the committee had to be unanimous. He came in and demanded that the studies had to be redone and updated, demanded that the lease be reopened to other parties and demanded that all funds had to be overseen by a special committee.
    All of this takes time which we did not have. There was a time limit to be operational to get both the funding and the lease. He did everything he could to slow up the process so that we would lose everything. That includes the good-faith money that we had put up secured by our home.
    In September of 2020, with less than a month before our time ran out, they had the final session to determine whether I was going to get the lease or not.
    Of course, he voted no despite the three other judges, the County Auditor, and all of the Commissioners for voting in favor of us.
    Things got more than a little bit heated and I had some rather choice words and a few not-so-polite the finger gestures for him.
    To which, he replied that I was in contempt of court. I then suggested that he engage in a sexual act that would, in all likelihood, be impossible and stormed out.
    Turns out, the meetings were actually considered an official court proceeding.
    Woops.
    He followed me out to the parking lot and grabbed me by the shoulder.
    Again, woops.
    I wheeled around and punched him in the face.
    Hard.
    Very hard.

And now, my lunch hour is over.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  6. MRSpivey

MRSpivey Faith, Hope, & Love...

…that’s about where what I knew of the situation ended. I can’t like what you posted because it totally sucks.