1. Migration complete. If you are an active member and having problems logging on, please send an email to [email protected]

Hello Guest,

VapingBlips.com is a social community of vapers gathering to discuss all things vaping and life in general. We have contests, play games, babble about nonsense and even share useful info about vape gear, e-liquids and DIY info.

We have no interest in spammers or trolls and our members have tools that allow them to remove offending posts if enough members rate it as spam or trolling.

We hope you like what you see and decide to register and join us.

If you have any questions, feel free to send an e-mail to [email protected] and we hope to see you soon ;)

THE SLANG GAME

Discussion in 'Games, words, music, trivia, videos, whatever...' started by muth, Jun 10, 2016.

1. muth

muth More than a poop!

Post a slang word or saying. What it is and it's origin. I'll go first.

Gumshoe: Detective. To go softly as if wearing rubber shoes; move or act stealthily.
    1860-65, American.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  2. dubya

dubya Blissfully bewildered billet box blip

Nathin: slang for nothing. Just means nothing :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. kelli

kelli The original blip

dipshit

originated in the 70's, perhaps a blend of dippy and shit. (duh)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. dubya

I may not be the smartest guy around, but I am certainly no dipshit :p

Clusterfuck. Not quite sure of the origin or year, but I am fairly sure it was designed to explain my life :rolleyes:

5. muth

muth More than a poop!

"Preaching to the choir" 1973 American. To commend an opinion to those who already accept it.
    I thought it was a much older saying than 1973 o_O

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

In a nutshell

1600 from Shakespeare's Hamlet or from AD 77 on the small parchment the Illiad was written on

• Like Like x 3
    • List
  7. kelli

kelli The original blip

gingers have no soul.

Scientists have dissected many ginger kids (currently they are exempt from normal animal experimentation restrictions), and were surprised to discover how closely they resembled normal humans. In fact, they are identical to us in every way except one. Ginger kids have no soul. They are nothing more than empty shells and their only purpose is to annoy/wipe out humans.*

*http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ginger

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  8. muth

muth More than a poop!

You're kidding:blink:?

9. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

Not kidding. Some philosopher guy told a story about some other philosopher guy seeing the parchment that the Illiad was written on and said it could fit in a walnut shell. Of course the philosopher could have been kidding. And that's it in a nutshell. :p

10. TheWestPole

TheWestPole A hit on Mr. Mitty

:lol:

11. kelli

kelli The original blip

it's funny cause it's true?

12. Jerry

Jerry Should Be Committed

It's NOT true Kellidear. :(

13. TheWestPole

Cause of the "scientists." Would like to know which scientists were dissecting gingers so I can read up on the rest of their work. :hmmm:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  14. TheWestPole

bupkis (also bupkes, bupkus, bubkis, bubkes)

Emphatically nothing, as in He isn't worth bupkis (בופּקיס indeterminate, either 'beans' or 'goat droppings', possibly of Slavic, Vlach, or Greek origin; cf. Polish bobki 'animal droppings') The Yiddish word originally referred to a kind of bean. The bean was shaped like the "droppings" of goats. Thus, some people say that bupkis means "goat shit."

• Like Like x 3
    • List
  15. muth

muth More than a poop!

The pot calling the kettle black - 1620 - Don Quixote
    The notion that a criticism that a person makes of another could equally well apply to themself.

16. moecat

moecat No sodding blips to give

wigger

17. moecat

moecat No sodding blips to give

[​IMG]

18. TheWestPole

diddly squat

The Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang lists the original form as "Doodly-squat," dating from 1934. No clue given as to the origin. Doodle means, variously, a fool, a Union soldier, a penis, to cheat, and to copulate. The dictionary does not list a usage for "doodly-shit" until 1966. It does list "diddly-squat" as a euphemism for "diddly-shit," which does not appear until 1964 (1963 for diddly-squat).

In any case, it appears again that to signify emphatically nothing we turn to shit.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. muth

muth More than a poop!

Something's wrong with you:rofl:

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. dubya

Sorry for the x Karen, but you asked for it :whistle: