1. Migration complete. If you are an active member and having problems logging on, please send an email to [email protected]

Hello Guest,

VapingBlips.com is a social community of vapers gathering to discuss all things vaping and life in general. We have contests, play games, babble about nonsense and even share useful info about vape gear, e-liquids and DIY info.

We have no interest in spammers or trolls and our members have tools that allow them to remove offending posts if enough members rate it as spam or trolling.

We hope you like what you see and decide to register and join us.

If you have any questions, feel free to send an e-mail to [email protected] and we hope to see you soon ;)

Migration Status Update

Discussion in 'Purely Social' started by InMyImage, Sep 18, 2021.

1. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

Sorry the site reopened late this morning. We ran into some server software compatibility issues because the old server was very dated. After quite a bit of time consuming work we got it figured out and everything seems to be functioning fine.

There are still a couple of errors on the administration side that I need to research but they don’t seem to be affecting the operation of the server so I’ll deal with it later. This does mean that there may be periods in the future when I have to temporarily put the forum in maintenance mode but fortunately our host has really good 24x7 support so if/when it becomes necessary I’ll do everything in the middle of the night.

The internet uses something called SSL to verify the identity of each site and the “certificates” expire after a specific period of time, these control when you see something like “This site is not secure” or maybe a red padlock icon in your web browser’s address bar or you saw a notice in your browser that made you go through some annoying steps to say “yes I trust that Bill is a good guy and I really do want to visit this site damnit!”

The site security issue happened because our site certificate expired a while back but knowing I was going to be moving the site sometime in the near future (which turned into months) I didn’t bother going through the rather painful effort of updating them. The new certificate process is supposedly going to happen automatically now but depends on the server information propagating around the world before it will generate and apply the new certificate. Odds are that before that happens you will either see notes in the address bar, the red padlock or similar or be faced with again telling your browser that you are confident that I’m an upstanding guy.

I will be working on the organization and content of the panels on the right side of the pages sometime over the next week. Let me know if there are any specific changes you would find useful and I’ll do my best to accommodate, it is your site after all.

If you have ANY problems, quirks annoyances or notice anything not behaving the way it did previously please report it in this thread and be sure to indicate if it started before the migration or after:

http://vapingblips.com/threads/forum-issues-quirks-annoyances.18800/

If you have a major / significant issue please start a private conversation with me and @jj2 so I get an email notification and can respond to it quicker. I am going to give my cell number to @jj2 so she can nudge me if I don’t respond to your issue within a 24 hours.

If it is critical and but you can login try to start a conversation with both of us so @jj2 can contact me ASAP. Also send me an email to [email protected] whether you can or cannot login and/or start a conversation with both of us.

Please do not report issues, quicks, etc. in this thread report them in the thread created for them, for your convenience here it is again:

http://vapingblips.com/threads/forum-issues-quirks-annoyances.18800/

Other than that, thanks for your patience and support. Now I’m going to shut my brain down for a while.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. InMyImage

A tech is working on the server trying to reproduce errors to collect log files and help locate the source of some of the server configuration issues. So much has changed with the underlying software running the forum software that tracking things down is a bit more challenging.

The impact is that this afternoon you might notice some delays when looking at threads, moving between threads, posting and responding to posts or even errors. Just be patient and his investigation activity should be done by 7 EST.

3. muth

muth More than a poop!

Just want to respond with a big thank you for all the work put in. VERY MUCH appreciated. Please take care and looking forward to seeing you around.

4. muth

muth More than a poop!

I'm so flabbergasted with the possibilities that my brain froze! Hopefully the other members will start contributing ideas. But I can thank you for all your efforts in making this possible.:thumbs::)

5. InMyImage

Oh crap… I might have accidentally opened the floodgates… :woot:

6. muth

muth More than a poop!

:laugh:....my lips are sealed....but I can't speak for anyone else. Don't worry, Bill, we'll have mercy on you:p