Resolved Why don't new posts show up when we hit new posts at the top?

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by neojuice, Apr 25, 2015.

1. neojuice

neojuice PiL b

What's the difference between new posts and recent posts shown on the right?
    If some one posts something in a thread and it does NOT show up in new posts--unless what? What is new posts based upon?
    How can a user see ALL latest posts?

2. Ld3441

Ld3441 Blessed blip!

New Post shows posts you have not seen.
    Recent posts shows post by time even if you have seen them.
    Right guys? :p

3. neojuice

neojuice PiL b

ok I'm stupid thanks for your responses Ld3441

4. Ld3441

Ld3441 Blessed blip!

No, not at all! It takes awhile to figure this all out and asking questions is the easiest way. :)

I am now looking for "recent posts". I don't see it but may be because all are marked read. Keep asking questions you have.

What I said above was true at the other place and figured it was the same here which is why I added the "right guys?".

5. Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl Seriously Committed

LD is correct about the 'recent posts' sidebar to the right..
    'new posts' at the top are new posts that you have not seen.. The side bar shows posts as they come up, regardless of whether have seen them or not. If you havent seen them, they will be labeled 'New'..

6. neojuice

neojuice PiL b

OK I figured out how to keep up with all posts. First you hit new posts. The stuff you've seen doesn't show up there. With the new posts page loaded and by glancing to the right at recent posts a user can figure/interpret what he has seen and what is the newest. There still is no list of all posts by order of time posted (which was configurable in BD 1.0) but it is possible to figure this out using the method described.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  7. Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl Seriously Committed

My default on any forum is to bookmark the 'New Posts' page that way when I go to the site, I always see the new posts... If you scroll down, it should also list the threads that have posts you have not seen, but are not 'new since your last visit'.

8. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

Do you mean all posts regardless of whether they have been read or not, in a single list that is not related directly to the threads are posted to?

If so, can you describe what you configured in the old site and I can open it to see what you were configuring so that I can look into it more.

But as a summary and hopefully clearer answer...

In the top bar "new posts" are all the posts you have not yet read regardelss of whether you are watching the threads or not.

The sidebar panel shows a sort of window into the world of BD... the "Newest Threads" panal is just that, a list of the 5 most recently created threads.

The "New Posts" panel is a list of the 10 most recent posts.

Both of these panels will update as you navigate through the site.

Hope that helps, but let me know if there was something you were doing differently in the old site that you would like to see us try to implement here.

Thanks!

9. kelli

kelli The original blip

not sure if anyone mentioned this, but i discovered it at VU. there is a menu under the "members" tab in the upper left screen. in that you will see "recent activity". that gives you a running current list of ALL posts in ALL threads. hope this helps, i used it all the time at VU :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  10. neojuice

neojuice PiL b

^didn't know, bingo! very good.