WestPole's Stupid Atty Tricks

Discussion in 'Atomizers and Rebuildables' started by TheWestPole, May 27, 2015.

1. TheWestPole

TheWestPole A hit on Mr. Mitty

False advertising again. As with Stupid Mod Tricks, no tricks and not so stupid. This will be a log of my atty projects. I'm going to pick up here from where I left off in the Orchid Modification Thread on VU. I will be happy though to backtrack and explain if asked.

Please feel free to chime in with your atty tricks!

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  2. TheWestPole

Food Grade Polycarbonate Tanks for Tank Cracking Juice

A couple of my favorite ADVs are tank crackers. The problem for me with using glass has been that my favorite attys are fit with custom wide chimneys with external juice flow control like the one below. These require a threaded tank to hold everything together. So I've been stuck with replacing cracked plastic tanks frequently. My worst culprit juice would start cracking a new tank in less than a week. :(

Looks like I have found a solution. Recently I invested in a tap to cut tank threads (M20 x .5) and a 3' length of food grade polycarbonate tubing to make custom tanks any length. My first was 40mm long to substitute for the Taifun GT tanks I have been using. I filled it with my worst tank cracking juice (anise, lemon and other citrus) and have been using it for three weeks now. No sign of a crack beginning anywhere, even at the threaded ends. I still have my fingers crossed about the longer term, but thus far I am delighted with the food grade PC and its possibilities. It's a big deal, for me at least. :)

IMAG0508_picmonkeyed (1).jpg

Tap + three feet of polycarbonate tube = $41 total. Not cheap but worth it IMO.

[​IMG]

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MIBK5KY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OMJ3UW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  3. Eric DeCastro

Eric DeCastro More than a blip!

did you use a hot wire to cut the tubing?

4. TheWestPole

No, chop saw for rough cut, bench sander for finishing.

5. TheWestPole

My current favorite atty, the Fountain V2 squonking atomizer. My only quibble with the vape quality off the shelf was the result of the top breathing and AFC. Not a fan of top breathing drippers, and the AFC was hard to see and set because it's recessed and in the shadow of the exterior vents.

Stock configuration.

IMAG1280_picmonkeyed.jpg

I've since removed the graphics and replaced the upper section to convert it to a side breather. Now it's a more familiar dripper vape and I'm loving it. Parts to make the upper section were from my spare parts bin.

• Food grade Polycarbonate tube stock, cut to length and drilled to my ideal draw when aligned with the coils.
    • Kayfun/Orchid glass tank ring.
    • Kayfun V4 two-piece top cap assembly, drilled out to 3/8" ID for a 2/3 chuff size opening.

IMAG1324_picmonkeyed.jpg IMAG1318_picmonkeyed.jpg IMAG1326_picmonkeyed.jpg IMAG1323_picmonkeyed.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  6. TheWestPole

Size comparison with Lemo 2.

IMAG1329_picmonkeyed (1).jpg

7. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

I ordered one of these today from focalecig along with a green Goblin mini. :) I'm intrigued by this squonker atty! Hopefully it'll screw in the right way for the Kato.

8. TheWestPole

If it doesn't line up right, Becca, there are ways of making it do what you want. :evil: Not sure how that 510 works, but you can always come up with a custom shim for the Fountain.

Second Goblin Mini? It's is great little tank, isn't it? I'm really impressed with mine.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  9. TheWestPole

Karen just bought one too, I believe.

10. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

I have to make it an offer it can't refuse? lol Come to think of it, the Kato may have an adjustable-ish 510. It's been a while since I've used it, or any of the mechanicals. I blame it on these RTAs coming out. Good stuff!

I did have a very slight problem with the Goblin. For about 2 or 3 weeks every time I filled it there was a few drops of juice around the 510. I don't know why, it just stopped doing it. Not enough wick maybe? Shrug.

11. TheWestPole

I had leaking problems on the G Mini too. Just needed a little bit of wick in the top of the juice channels. And when not using I close off the AFC. Seems to have taken care of it.

What does your use/non-use of mechs have to do with the new RTAs?

12. dr3d

dr3d biker blip

Correctamundo. The Kato 510 is 2 piece ... threaded section and center pin. You can always make it line up your atties where you want'm. I still love my Kato and one day someone's gonna make a TC chip I can shove in place of that 510 center pin so I'll never let my little clone go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  13. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

So it was the wick. OK, good to know!
    Ummm...probably nothing but most of my mechanicals are Reos. It might be the VW instead. Kinda having fun with that too.

14. muth

muth More than a poop!

I'm intrigued, too. I haven't bought it yet, but will soon. I wish I had something like a Kato to get a smaller profile. I keep knocking my mods over! Let me know how it goes.

15. TheWestPole

I see.

[​IMG]

16. TheWestPole

Made another side breathing chamber/top cap today. I like this one better. Less bulky, shorter, lighter, simpler and fits more snugly on the atty because of the threading. Same food grade polycarbonate tubing, a slammed Kayfun 4 top cap, and a section of 1/2" stainless tubing press fit into it. The ID at 11 mm is about a 2/3 chuff size opening.

IMAG1347_picmonkeyed.jpg IMAG1337_picmonkeyed.jpg IMAG1367_picmonkeyed.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  17. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

Guess what shipped out from focalecig today? :rofl: Imma be swimming in these things.

18. TheWestPole

Punster!

[​IMG]

19. TheWestPole

Just received two more from Focalecig. These came from Germany and include a spare bottle as well as glass. My first came from China and included no spare bottle. You can draw your own conclusions from this info when you order from Focalecig, @glassgrl, @muth.

IMAG1373_picmonkeyed.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  20. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

Being late to the party is a good thing in this case then. I checked the tracking and it's coming from Germany. :) But that wolf is so odd. Looks like it has a moth on it's head and is pissed off about it. lol