Voltage VS Wattage

Discussion in 'I Need Help!!!' started by DuckysVapeReviews, Nov 4, 2015.

?

Which is Better Adjustable Wattage Or Voltage

Poll closed Nov 25, 2015.
  1. Voltage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wattage

33.3%
  3. TC FTW

66.7%
  1. DuckysVapeReviews

DuckysVapeReviews Seriously Committed

This is going to get the whole pot stirred up. Some claim adjustable voltage is better, others adjustable wattage. There are also some like me that run mechanical mods so both are factor that work hand in hand. This isn't about the mechanical mod crowd, but those who stand by there just for voltage or just for wattage mods. If you say one is better than the other than just don't say it give reasons why it is. That wave those who are trying to decide will have the information and opinions to base their purchases off of. I really can't wait to see the results.

2. dr3d

dr3d biker blip

K ... so ... Temp Limiting all the way.

But I figured on stir'n the pot with you this morning. VV and VW are the same thing. They are both ways to tune the vape available from a specific load. Varying "power" saves us a bunch of time spent building coils.

Folks just need to understand that increasing wattage IS increasing voltage. And, conversely, increasing voltage IS increasing wattage. As humans we have a natural inclination to avoid brain cell taxation, but, given a known load, all of us can handle the translation between these scales.

Now ... gimme something a human can't process fast enough to maintain and I give you the game changer. FTW, TC is that game changer. Give me the information used at any two consecutive microseconds and I can tell you whether or not I need to increase or decrease voltage to vape at a target temperature. But the advice I return will be too late to positively impact your vape experience.

3. muth

muth More than a poop!

I use all sorts of devices, but for me a TC device gives you the ability for fine tuning, more options to control your vape w/o, like dr3d says, "a bunch of time spent building coils". Not very scientific, but all in all, I think common sense.

4. 100%VG

100%VG Did something go Blip?

When regulated, fixed output 3.7V devices first appeared, the only way to change the vape experience was to change the Ohms of the atomizer, cartomizer, etc. For a set and regulated 3.7 Volts, a lower Ohm coil would increase the Wattage, and a higher Ohm coil would decrease the Wattage.

Wattage equals Power, and thus, the Heat and/or Temperature, in general terms.

With VV, setting a Voltage will set a Wattage for a particular coil, but changing the coil Ohms changes the Wattage, too. For a set Voltage, a lower Ohm coil will increase the Wattage, and a higher Ohm coil will decrease the Wattage. So with VV, when the coil's resistance is changed, the Voltage has to be changed to match the relative vape experience (Wattage) you had with the other coil. But VV was a great first advancement.

VW was created to give approximately the same vape experience between various coil Ohms.

With VW, setting a Wattage will set a Voltage for a particular coil, but changing the coil Ohms changes the Voltage automatically to maintain the set Wattage. For a set Wattage, a lower Ohm coil will decrease the Voltage, and a higher Ohm coil will increase the Voltage, to maintain the set Wattage.

TC was created to be the (present) state of the art in controlling the vape experience.

With TC, the Max Allowed Temperature of the coil is being set, and if the coil heats up too fast, this is interpreted as not enough juice on the wicking, so to prevent a dry, nasty burnt taste, and the potentially resulting ruined wicking, the coil's applied Voltage is turned Off (in the case of an out-of-juice situation) or Down until the situation is rectified by enough juice flow to the coil. This is done to maintain the Max Temp of the coil, but also to prevent dry burning that could easily happen with VV and VW.

The applied Voltage, and therefore, the applied Wattage, is regulated to maintain a set Temperature by monitoring the changes in the TC coil's Resistance. Setting a higher Wattage on a TC device basically only controls how fast the coil will reach the Max Set Temperature, before Temperature Regulation kicks in.

While there is likely more going on than this, it's a good, basic explanation of how TC devices work. Whether the device displays a change in Voltage, Wattage, Amps, or Temperature, or any combination of them, it's the Voltage that is being controlled via complex calculations.

The Voltage is being controlled (Regulated or Varied, as the case may be) in all 4 scenarios.

Which do I keep going back to? That would be VW, because I don't have an Evolv DNA device. I think if I had a DNA200 device, then I would probably never leave TC for VW again, except to test the Wattage range claims of a Kanthal Head for a review. I'd love to have the Reuleaux DNA200 by Jaybo Designs!!!

[​IMG]

Actually, the Perfect Match would be with 6x Sony VTC4. :laugh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. SteveS45

SteveS45 Fade to black.................

I have a Wismec Reuleaux DNA 200 and I need to get a nice Sub Ohm Tank to utilize the TC.

6. muth

muth More than a poop!

Dedicated RTA or a sub ohm tank with coil heads and optional build deck?

7. SteveS45

I have not decided yet but I have a stiff willy for the Dotmod Petri in Gold. Will look so hot on my Black MOD's. I might start with an Aspire Atlantis 2 or a Triton because I have a bunch of CoilArt Coils here for them.

8. muth

muth More than a poop!

Whadya' think you'll put in the Petri?

9. DuckysVapeReviews

DuckysVapeReviews Seriously Committed

I finally said "FTW" I got the Invader III (VV series box) & IPV3 Li (VW & TC) Now I got a dog in most every fight.

10. SteveS45

I now have my eye on the Atom Metropolis with the Art Deco Styling the 24 Ct Gold plating is nice.