Step up to help VapingBlips

Discussion in 'Purely Social' started by InMyImage, Sep 13, 2017.

1. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

It's hard to believe that Vaping Blips is almost 2 and 1/2 years old!

During this time we have all made and maintained contact with friends, shared info on life in general, vaping devices and techniques, hobbies and interests, legal updates and advocacy and more.

During all this time we ran one donation drive that gathered enough funding for us to continue operating without having to ask the group to dig deep and give again. This partly has been helped by the minimal trickle of affiliate income that has come in over time from the ads on the site which are not paid ads, but simply links to companies who compensate us anytime someone makes a purchase after clicking on the ad from our site.

Unfortunately the well dried up earlier this year and I have been supplementing the costs of running the site out of my own pocket. It costs about $700 per year to operate VB and unfortunately my hope that donations trickling in combined with affiliate income would catch back up and take care of things without me having to dip into my own bank account very much.

As most of you know, I'm on disability income and the trickle has actually slowed to an unpredictable drip... :(

We have another hosting bill due by Sunday and much as I have fought against doing so, I have to ask for people to contribute again and help support the continued operation of VB.

Thanks and hope to see you soon,

Bill

2. Shawn Hoefer

Shawn Hoefer Seriously Committed

Let's pretend I'm using Tapatalk and cannot see the donate links in the sidebar. What might those links be?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

3. ghost62

ghost62 Goes Blip In The Night Staff Member Safe Zone Moderator

Sent what I could.

4. ghost62

Maybe @InMyImage can send you a PayPal invoice...
    I haven't used TAT in a couple of years but on my phone's browser there is a PayPal box toward the bottom of each page.

5. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

Sent some. Let us know if it's enough...I have vape things around here I don't use, maybe we could have a raffle/waffle/whatever they call it these days.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Blue1

Blue1 Blip Charm Vendor

I will see what I can do tomorrow...

7. InMyImage

Thanks @ghost62 @glassgrl

Looks like you got it figured out @Shawn Hoefer because we received your donation.

There is a member who donates a bit about every 3 months, so with what we have so far we are only about $40 away from taking care of the hosting fees next three months of service.

It would be great if we could hit the full year mark for all expenses including hosting AND software/plugin licensing which is currently about $625 away.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. tgcrna

tgcrna Be good to yourself and kind to others...

Sent some.

Please let all of us know if more is needed. It isn't fair for you to have to foot the bill. I enjoy gabbing with my 'imaginary friends' (as my smart-ass son calls them) on this forum and feel it is well worth contributing to keep it going :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. InMyImage

Just received the notice from PayPal :thumb: Thanks for kicking in and helping to pop us above the 3 months of hosting mark. Now would just love to see us hit the 1 year mark!

Going to have to find a plugin or widget or something to create a goal thermometer :hmmm:

10. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

That's a great idea.

11. InMyImage

After PayPal fees are deducted we are now up to $279 :headbang:

I found a fundraiser goal thermomete script which is in the sidebar now so everyone can easily see how we are doing :thumb:

So far we have about six donations from 5 blips so help make sure everyone knows about it in case some didn't notice the thread.

Thanks to those who have donated so far!

12. muth

muth More than a poop!

I can donate tomorrow. I'm so tired I might accidently empty my bank account.

• Optimistic / Sympathy Optimistic / Sympathy x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  13. ghost62

The more I think about it, the more I like @glassgrl idea of an auction with donated items (with a twist at the end)
    So, along those lines, let me throw this out there and see what you guys think:

General guidelines:

Each auction will run for 5 days and the listing should include both pictures of the actual item and a description.

Bids are to be submitted via pm to me and the amount of the winning bid will be published at auction close (not the winning bidder's name- just in case. Don't want any hard feelings between bidders) I will contact both the seller and the winning bidder via group pm so that they can arrange shipping and payment.

Payment will be made directly to the seller via PayPal or other mutually agreed upon means within 2 days of auction close unless an extension is agreed upon by both parties PRIOR to bidding. To ask for an extension, pm both myself and the seller.

A flat $7.00 will be allocated for shipping. All proceeds above that flat $7.00 should be donated to VB by the seller via the PayPal link on each page. (For example if the winning bid on an item is $26.00, $7 would go to cover the seller's shipping cost and $19 would be donated to VB)

Each auction will have a reserve price of $8.00 (for obvious reasons)

Auctions will continue until 7 days have lapsed from the time the last auction item was listed.

Now for the potential twist... Let me know what you think about this...

Any unsold items will be added to a modified PIF box. The modification? To be included, you need to have both an item to put in the box AND donate at least $5 to VB.

The modified PIF will be open to ALL members and not limited to just those active in the auctions. A special thread will be started to track the activity and progress of the box.

As organizer, I will start out the box with several items and mail it to the first person on the list. They, in turn, will remove what they like and replace it with something of theirs and send it along to the next person on the list. Each person should post pictures of what they took and what they added.

Once a member receives the box, they should pass it along to the next person within 2 days to keep things moving efficiently.

Each participant will be responsible for the shipping cost of sending it to the next person.

I will assign the shipping order to minimize 'in transit' times.

The final person will send the box back to me and, after I take an item, I will offer the remainder to the contents up for a Winner Takes All auction following the aforementioned rules.

As this is my first time attempting to organize either an auction or a PIF box, any and all input, ideas or comments are welcome. Please post and let me know if you are interested in participating in either the auctions as a buyer or seller or the PIF box. If there is sufficient interest, I'll get the ball rolling ASAP.

Thanks, guys!

Terry

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  14. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

Sounds great Terry! I like the twist idea too! Not sure if I'd call it PIF though...it might be a little misleading? We've (not we here, we elsewhere) done one with glass, take something out, put something of similar value in, post it with pics, etc. and she called it a Travelling Box.

Anyway, whatever it's called, I'm in. I have something right now to donate for auction. Pictures are a problem for me right now though. I can text pics, but my editing software is on another computer...working on getting it running this week.

oh yeah...I think paypal might have issues with the word 'auction' if it's not a registered charity. 'Raffle' was OK, not sure now. I've seen the word 'waffle' instead.

15. ghost62

Waffle!!!! Hahahahaha!
    How about we call it a Gear Box? Or Traveling Box works just as well, I guess. Agreed that PIF could be misleading- that's why I'm counting on you guys to keep me straight.
    PayPal funds can be sent person to person as a gift and it isn't charged fees as far as I know. Will have to check that out..

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Shawn Hoefer

Shawn Hoefer Seriously Committed

I'd be happy to donate a Hen's Wing Whisk... not quite vape related, but quite popular... 20160628_131332.jpg
    Not THIS broom, but this style... The buyer could pick their color of both twine and broomcorn. These retail for $25 without any customization, so...

• Love This! Love This! x 5
    • List
  17. ghost62

Thanks Shawn!!!
    I guess I should have thought of that- Auction items aren't limited to vape gear.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  18. Glam

Glam Technically challenged beach blip.

This sounds like a great idea....I probably will not get involved because I have no more room for any vaping gear. I already donated this year, but will donate again since we are having a money crunch. I also appreciate this forum and being able to visit with my friends without the "wardens" that were on my last forum. ;)

And Bill should not have to pay one cent of his own money.....we should all be able to step up and do our share.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  19. Blue1

Blue1 Blip Charm Vendor

I am interested.....but low on funds at this time...(till something happens with my job...)...when things get straight count me in....
    I too love this place and the warm fuzzy feeling I get when I come here....I care & know others do too or they wouldn't stick around.....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Glam

Glam Technically challenged beach blip.

OK....Glam donated...now it is up to the rest of you to meet the challenge. :p

We all want to keep "our spot" on this forum. :)

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love This! Love This! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List