Special Olympics Cycling

Discussion in 'Purely Social' started by InMyImage, Apr 13, 2016.

1. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

Ethan had his first cycling practice for Special Olympics today. It went pretty well but he has to get used to it when another rider is come up on him and calls out "Passing!" or "On your left!" because he kept looking back at them and sort of drifting off course as he did so which could cause an accident.

He took a turn too sharp and flipped the trike. Needs to learn some body-English so that he can shift his weight to prevent it from leaning too much but I'm pretty certain he'll get it. For now, he's just slowing down a lot when he turns which works ;)

Here are a couple of pics

Ethan 20160413 - 1.jpg

Ethan 20160413 - 2.jpg

Ethan 20160413 - 3.jpg

Ethan 20160413 - 4.jpg

• Love This! Love This! x 9
    • List
  2. ghost62

ghost62 Goes Blip In The Night Staff Member Moderator Vendor Safe Zone Moderator

He looks like he's having a great time!

3. InMyImage

Yep, he seems to really love riding which is great as it is something that I have always loved.

Weather looks like it is going to be really nice the rest of the week and I'm really looking forward to finally being able to get out and ride with him :banana:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love This! Love This! x 2
    • List
  4. ghost62

ghost62 Goes Blip In The Night Staff Member Moderator Vendor Safe Zone Moderator

Have you been able to get your bike out and ride together yet?

5. InMyImage

We have not been able to ride together yet because I wanted to build up a bit of stamina first just because he likes to go long rides. I'm loaning one of the trikes out this week to the local arm of the organization that we got them from because there is a fundraiser in a couple of weeks where a bunch of IndyCar drivers are going to race them and they want to test out the track to make sure they don't need to adjust the course for the trikes capabilities so it will be at least another week before we can head out together, but it's a good cause so I'm happy to help. Actually going to be running their web-site moving forward.

6. ghost62

Very cool!
    Get plenty of autographs, ok?

7. InMyImage

LOL not my world

8. jj2

jj2 Tiggergirl A blip in the Deplorable Basket Contest Organizer

This is totally cool!!!!

9. InMyImage

Tonight the weather for practice couldn't have been better :)

Ethan is making good progress learning how to use his body to counteract the trikes desire to roll over in a turn (this is a trait of these kinds of trikes, nothing wrong with the trike itself) and is starting to get the concept of changing gears.

He is still getting used to other riders yelling "Passing!" when they pass him, but he isn't freaking out anymore. Now he just slows down and watches them go by and then continues on pedaling away.

It's a lot of fun to watch him because he sort of bobs while he rides. My phone battery was really low so I couldn't take any video, but I'll try to get some at next weeks practice.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  10. InMyImage

Here are a couple of very short vids from Ethan's latest cycling practice.

This is how the start will work for each race. Looks like he has it down pretty well :thumb:

And here is a clip of Ethan and I riding together. Finally was able to get a time with both of us riding and Shelly around to take a video ;)

• Love This! Love This! x 4
    • List
  11. InMyImage

BTW, he has his first practice race on Tuesday so I'll be sure to post an update on how he does. It will be the first time on a real track without corner type turns to slow him down, so we are really hoping that will help him pick up more speed.

The SO Summer Games races are on the 10th and 11th. He will do a 500m and 1000m time trial on Friday which will set his start order and race group for Saturday's finals.

Will do my best to post updates often :thumb:

12. InMyImage

Last night we had a great time cheering Ethan and the other atheletes on at his Special Olympics regional cycling event. He took a silver and bronze in his category and really started to learn shifting better so he's getting faster and faster and now endurance when really pushing it is the limiting factor.

I found a running track near us that is openly accesible so hopefully I'll be able to get him over there at least a couple of times before next weekend so that we can work on proper shifting a lot more. Knowing how and when to shift really helps in the speed game ;)

Feeling the effects of it all today though so I'm in and out (mostly out) thanks to the muscle relaxers.

Anyway, I'll have videos up soon but here are a couple of teaser pics :)

IMG_0203.JPG IMG_0207.JPG IMG_2519.JPG IMG_2547.JPG IMG_2556.JPG

• Love This! Love This! x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. ghost62

That's so great, Bill!
    He looks like he had a wonderful time!!!

14. ghost62

That's impressive for his first real competition. Ya might just end up with a cycling juggernaut on your hands! :)

15. dubya

dubya Headbanging Blip

I just love seeing stuff like this. Parents taking part in their children's lives (no matter what it may be), and children enjoying themselves and having a good time (again, no matter what it may be) Good for you and Ethan both Bill :thumb: Awesome :thumbs:

16. InMyImage

Thanks guys. He definitely loves riding his trike and I can't thank everyone who helped make this happen enough

[​IMG]

17. InMyImage

New video of Ethan racing the 1000m event.

• Love This! Love This! x 3
    • List
  18. dubya

dubya Headbanging Blip

Looks like to me he has come a long way since first learning :thumb: also love how it looked to me to be a bit of trepidation in the beginning, and nothing but determination in the end :thumb:

19. ghost62

Wow. He certainly has progressed!
    Looks like you got a natural on your hands!!!

20. InMyImage

Yep, he has improved a lot. The interesting bit was him getting distracted. You can see him slow down his pedaling while looking at something off the track for a moment.

Found myself wondering if there will be similar distractions at the track next week. The track is sort of jelly bean shaped so it is mostly a nice long curve with a straightaway in front of the spectator stands and sort of pit area. Hopefully his focus will be on the curve and not stuff on the side of the track.

Here is a satellite view of the track: http://bit.ly/1U2GPCz