1. New Contest

Ms Brew's Make Me Laugh Event! Thanks Redd Hott!!!

Contests, contests, contests!!!

Soap

Discussion in 'Crafting and Scrapbooking' started by cherrycakes, Jul 22, 2015.

1. cherrycakes

cherrycakes The struggle is real

If anyone is interested in making their own soap, the process is really pretty easy.
    I do not do cold process soap because I don't have that kind of patience. I do what is called in soap circles melt-and-pour.

I buy goat's milk soap base since it doesn't dry out the skin as much as glycerin, but you can use any base you want.

So you get the base, and you either microwave it or you can do it the old fashioned way and heat in on the stove until it melts.

Then you remove it from the heat, mix in any scents and colorants you like, and then pour it into a mold.

After that it's basically waiting for the soap to set. After like 15-30 minutes,
    When it is partially solid, I put it in the fridge to help it set faster because I am impatient.

After an hour or so you can take the soap out of the mold.

That's it :)

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

2. cherrycakes

I buy ingredients from two companies, Brambleberry and Bulk apothecary

http://www.bulkapothecary.com/

I usually go to bulk apothecary for raw ingredients, in bulk. They have pretty good prices. Herbs, soap base, fragrances and colorants.

3. cherrycakes

http://www.brambleberry.com/

Brambleberry has really cute soap kits to buy along with instructions for various projects.

4. cherrycakes

Adding fragrance is easy, I usually do 4-6 drops at a time. If its a larger batch of soap then I add more. But generally for one soap mold of like four bars 8 drops will be sufficient.

I have had issues with colorants. I like using mica's because it seems more natural but they have to be blended in really well or they will settle all on one side of the soap and look kind of gritty.

I've used color drops which blend well but they tend to run when you actually use the soap and leave a purple or blue mess in the soap dish.

Probably the best choice imo are the colorant blocks. You cut off a piece and mix it in the soap while it's being melted. It's important to make sure the colorant block gets completely melted in so it is distributed evenly.

5. cherrycakes

For a while I was "selling" my soaps on listia. You get credits instead of money and you can then spend the credits on other people's auctions. Basically everything is free. However I ended up spending money buying ingredients and paying for shipping (you can charge shipping but no one ever bids on those auctions) and decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

6. cherrycakes

I went through a Facebook picture deleting spree recently but here are some old soaps I've made

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These were made with mica, in the soap on the right you can see where the mica settled at the bottom of the mold :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  7. cherrycakes

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

These were made around Christmas using a glittery white colorant block. They turned out really well. I had some Christmas themed scents, I forget which one I used though.

These were really small and only good as like guest or hand soaps.

8. cherrycakes

These were supposed to be a fleur de lis cameo type soap, on the box the top of the fleur de lis was colored in green but I couldn't figure out how to get just the fleur de lis part green and not the surrounding area. Dropper maybe? So I just did one layer of white and then a layer of green.

I wasn't real happy with these either because the green shows through the white. For the most part goat milk is pretty opaque but I think whatever came in the kit (glycerin maybe?) Was too translucent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also for whatever reason these got stuck in the mold. Usually you can flip the mold over and push the soap out but a new mold tends to be really stiff. I couldn't get these out and we ended up using a butter knife to cut around the soap and so the edges are a little wonky.

9. cherrycakes

I'm pretty bad at buying soap so I have a soap hoard and I was putting off making more until I got through the ones I actually bought. But I've been taking them to work to put in the hitch bay sink. The bathrooms have those liquid soap dispensers but all we have in the hitch bay is this gritty liquid heavy duty hand scrub and its not really antibacterial or anything. I kept bringing in soaps, I had like 8 sitting around I had made and they use the damn things so fast I have to make more. I mean I brought them in for personal use but apparently everyone uses them. They also use my lotion. Lol guys using froofy scented hand soap

10. cherrycakes

The process for candle making is almost identical to soap making but you need different materials, wax, molds.

Melt the wax ( this has to be done on the stove, candle wax melts at a higher temperature than soap wax)

Put a wick in the candle mold

Add scents and colors, mix well, then pour the wax into the mold.
    Then you need to tape a pencil or something to the top of the mold and the wick so it stands upright as the wax dries.

11. Wuzznt Me

Wuzznt Me Native Florida Cracker

Wow! I haven't noticed this thread. Making soap interests me. I used to buy goats milk soap with patchouli scented soap (Old hippie) from a lady at the flea market with a goat farm but she got a full time job and no longer sells it. I'm going to give it a shot. Thanx.

12. cherrycakes

I just picked up some aloe vera soap base, sandalwood vanilla fragrance, rose clay, and chamomile extract.

I'm a big fan of patchouli too :)

13. Wuzznt Me

Thanx. I'll give that one a shot too.

14. Wuzznt Me

There are a couple of commercially available patchouli soaps but they sure don't have a lasting scent. I used to love the way my bathroom smelled. I'm thinking several candles might have my house smelling like that. I'm sure going to try soon as I get time to put in an order. Thanx again for this thread and info.

15. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

I love patchouli too.....especially mixed with other things.....

Your soaps are so pretty!!! Those stars, though - I love those. I really like the layered look of the fleur de lis and the Celtic knot-looking one. Just makes it look even yummier with the two layers.

Thanks for sharing all the info. I have thought about trying this for a long time.... How great it would be to make something smell the way I want it to?????

I'm wondering - what is rose clay, and what do you use it for?

16. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

When making a fluer de lis have you tried just filling in the shape portion of the mold and then letting it sit a little bit to firm up just a smidge and then pour in the other color?

17. cherrycakes

Rose clay can be used for facial soaps and mud masks to soak up oil and impurities

18. cherrycakes

I've tried but it doesn't go where I want it to and ends up getting on the part I don't want colored. That's why I said I need to try a dropper so its more precise

19. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

Have no idea why I didn't make that connection :facepalm:

20. Wuzznt Me

Quick question about molds. Would plastic or silicone be better? I'm getting anxious to get started now.