1. Hello Guest,

VapingBlips.com is a social community of vapers gathering to discuss all things vaping and life in general. We have contests, play games, babble about nonsense and even share useful info about vape gear, e-liquids and DIY info.

We have no interest in spammers or trolls and our members have tools that allow them to remove offending posts if enough members rate it as spam or trolling.

We hope you like what you see and decide to register and join us.

If you have any questions, feel free to send an e-mail to [email protected] and we hope to see you soon ;)

Selectable Font

Discussion in 'Forum Tips and Tricks' started by 100%VG, Jun 27, 2015.

1. 100%VG

100%VG Did something go Blip?

Hi Bill,

I wonder if there's a way that I could permanently change the Font Type in my posts, like in my Preferences/Settings. Some forums use Trebuchet MS, or something more like Arial, so the numbers and letters don't jump up and down, and they are all the same size.

I find things like this hard to read:
    4.2V at 0.5Ω = 35.28W (must be the Georgia font)

These are much easier to read:

4.2V at 0.5Ω = 35.28W = Arial
    4.2V at 0.5Ω = 35.28W = Book Antiqua (not my favorite)
    4.2V at 0.5Ω = 35.28W = Tahoma
    4.2V at 0.5Ω = 35.28W = Times New Roman (again, not my favorite)
    4.2V at 0.5Ω = 35.28W = Trebuchet MS
    4.2V at 0.5Ω = 35.28W = Veranda

I wonder, too, if you could add the ability for Superscript and Subscript. When I type Mathematical Formulas to help people, it's nice to be able to do them like this:

[​IMG]

I understand if this is asking too much, or if it isn't possible, but when one doesn't ask, the answer is automatically NO. :D

Thanks in advance! :)

2. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

There is the ability to add custom styles to allow users to have options in how the forum is displayed. I recently have started to play with them because I know that we need a dark color scheme option for users with visual issues.

Unfortunately the settings are very fine grained and there is quite a bit of time and effort to design a new theme. I will look into the fonts while I am looking at the colors, but I can't promise that I can deliver anything soon simply because of the effort required.

In the meantime, almost all browsers give you the ability to set a forced default font that overrides any fonts used by a web site.

In Firefox, which is what I use, you go to Settings --> Content --> Fonts and Colors --> Advanced.

Screenshot 2015-06-28 07.29.22.png

In the dialog that pops up, set your preferred font for both Serif and Sans Serif and uncheck the box that says "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above"

Screenshot 2015-06-28 07.29.56.png

After setting that box, pull up the advanced preferences again to make sure that the "Allow..." check box is still unchecked because it like ss to change back.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. 100%VG

Thank you. :thumbs: I found the appropriate settings for Internet Explorer 11 and changed everything to Arial. It looks much better to me now. I guess I still have to remember to change numbers to Arial or something for everyone else when I want it to look a certain way.

I understand that these things can take a lot of time to work out. I appreciate your consideration of the requests.

Thanks again for all you do for us,

VG :)

4. InMyImage

I have found some info on how to create bbcodes for sub/super scrips as well as an ohm symbol and will hopefully get them implemented soon.

5. 100%VG

I use an Alt-Key + Num-Pad sequence for Ohms. Alt+234 = Ω
    Press and hold Alt, use the Number Pad and enter 2, 3, 4, and release Alt. :D
    Here is a list of all of them.

Looks like you changed the normal font to something like Arial. Thank You!!! :thumbs:
    Or maybe that's my IE Settings changes that did that. :blush:

6. InMyImage

It's your IE changes. Would be helpful to give directions on how to do that in IE similar to what I did for FireFox.

7. 100%VG

How to change the default font in Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/208552/how-to-change-the-default-fonts-in-your-web-browser/

In IE, open Internet Options. It can be reached in Control Panel or in the instructions listed above.

On the General tab, click the Fonts button.

[​IMG]

Leave the Dropbox set to Latin based.
    Select the font you want to make the Default from the left column.
    I selected Arial.
    Leave the right column set to Courier New.

[​IMG]

Click OK, and then click OK again. That's all there is to it.

Of course, this only changes the way the browser page looks to the individual user. If this change isn't made, the user will continue to see the Georgia font, for the time being at least.

8. InMyImage

I'm going to move this thread to the Tips and Tricks section so people can find it easier.