1. Hello Guest,

VapingBlips.com is a social community of vapers gathering to discuss all things vaping and life in general. We have contests, play games, babble about nonsense and even share useful info about vape gear, e-liquids and DIY info.

We have no interest in spammers or trolls and our members have tools that allow them to remove offending posts if enough members rate it as spam or trolling.

We hope you like what you see and decide to register and join us.

If you have any questions, feel free to send an e-mail to [email protected] and we hope to see you soon ;)

Scale to mix e-liquid by weight

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by InMyImage, Feb 25, 2016.

1. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

So I sat down to mix up a big batch of our ADV and decided that when mixing 360 mls of it at a time that it's probably a good time to try mixing by weight.

Pull out my food scale, look up grams per ml of PG, VG, nic and average for flavorings and realize that my scale only uses whole grams and I probably need one that does at least 100ths of a gram if not 1000ths.

Anybody have recommendations for an inexpensive digital scale and how many decimal places is really sufficient for the home mixer who isn't worried about the precision necessary for someone mixing to sell.

2. dr3d

dr3d biker blip

I repurposed scales I also use for reloaing ammo.

This one is accurate to .1 grain which means it's accurate to .003 grams. It's fairly inexpensive as well. Just a note regarding your desire to mix large batches by weight - scales are generally accurate in a finite target weight range. 360ml of juice is going to weigh somewhere north of 360 grams. The scale I actually use has a 100 gram range limit (100 grams of gunpowder is a whole frick'n lot), so I actually break up large pours into a series of smaller pours and re-tare between stages.

3. InMyImage

Meaning you basically measure each ingredient or a couple of the small ones and then blend them? Or do you mean one complete smaller batch at a time?

4. dr3d

dr3d biker blip

IMI,

I just mixed 100ml of my ADV. It went as follows:

Put bottle on scale.
    Tare.
    Add 4.14g (100mg/ml) Nic.
    Tare.
    Add 7.52g PG.
    Tare.
    Add 1.82g Black Cherry (FA).
    Tare.
    Add 7g Cinnamon Red Hots (PG) (TPA).
    Tare.
    Add 50.88g VG.
    Tare.
    Add 50g VG.

Top it up and shake. This makes 100ml of 4mg/ml Black Cherry Pop at 80vg/20pg. You can see where I added 100.88g of VG in two steps because of the 100g limit on my scale. You can note that I do not have a specific gravity for Cinnamon Red Hots flavoring entered so the 7% is estimated as 7g. I am probably mixing closer to 6.?% Cinnamon Red Hots.

The mixing process took me less than two minutes and that included retrieving the flavorings from the vape fridge and replacing them there. I consumed 3 pipettes (each flavor gets a brand new pipette and vg and pg are in pour bottles) doing this mix, but that barely dented my box of 1000. Some of the stuff I mix for Tawni takes longer but that's mostly 'casue the flavorings aren't grouped right in front of the fridge and I have to look at the laptop to follow recipes I haven't memorized.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. InMyImage

Gotcha, thanks :thumb:

6. InMyImage

Just did my first mix by weight and wow was that method fast!

Made up 400ml, so it was pretty easy to get the grams evened out so that I could use my kitchen scale @Dawn so if you are still planning to use yours just make big batches and don't sweat the little 1/10th variations.

7. Dawn

Dawn Seriously Committed

I ended up buying a jewelers scale that measures down to .01 it's a cheap scale but it works for the purpose it def makes things easier and faster

Sent from the lab in my basement of vapement

8. InMyImage

Which one did you get?

9. muth

muth More than a poop!

10. Donald Bickers

Donald Bickers Banished Blip Vendor

thats a nice lookingscale for a nice price,,,,,only thing i didnt see in the specs was wether it has a timed shutoff,the one i got does not time out,which is very important if you are mixing,so you dont lose track in the middle,if that makes sense,,,,,,,im not real good at wording things

11. muth

muth More than a poop!

Hmm, not sure what you mean? Are you referring to tare? Like when you tare in between adding each ingredient?

12. Shark Vape

Shark Vape Expert parker...

I'm developing a method to mix diy without all that silly shaking...
    Here's what I've got so far... :)

[​IMG] +[​IMG]

+ [​IMG]

13. muth

muth More than a poop!

When using the wall adapter it doesn't time out. Actually, I see that the specs say Auto Power Off: N/A (not applicable). Sounds like it doesn't have auto power off at all. Many scales that are batt powered with wall adapter usually auto power off unless you use the DC adapter.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019