Pending Request for #hastagging feature.

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by thewandererNick, Sep 1, 2015.

?

Would you like to see #hashtagging added to the forum

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Don't care

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. thewandererNick

thewandererNick Seriously Committed

Sorry not the most techy person around or anything, but i did notice that when i made a hashtag it was not blue like they usually are where you can click them. Is that how its supposed to be or am I just wrong

2. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

Web links should be automatically recognized unless you ONLY put short form of the site name and nothing else like vapingblips.com if you put a link like then it will be recognized same for something like www.vapingblips.com or http://vapingblips.com

Hashtags are never hyperlinked to my knowledge. Would they go to anything other than twitter? I can look for an add-on that might recognize them if it's desirable.

3. thewandererNick

Okay because on facebook and other social sites they automatically go blue so you can click them and then be directed to related hashtags of that same type. i only asked cause i did the pegasus vapes one which asked for a hashtag, but it isn't ever going to lead anyone here since its not linked in anyway

4. thewandererNick

Nevermind maybe it does add to the search of the product, but I don't get hashtags anyway

5. InMyImage

I did find a hastag addon that will automatically convert them to links that are used to find other content on the site that contain the same hastag. There is also a page created in the system that shows popular hastags.

When you click on a hashtag it pops up an overlay similar to the one that you used to add the resolved tag to this post.

It costs a little bit of money to get the addon but if there is enough support for it, then I'm all for adding it as the forum is for the users and making it more useful is my top priority.

I changed the thread prefix to "pending" and also changed the title to reflect it being a request for the hashtag feature.

Note in the future please do not change the subject of threads unless you are making it more descriptive of the content that way others can see/find it in the future to either add their comments or see that it was resolved or rejected, etc.

Thanks

6. InMyImage

BTW, I meant to ask you to add a poll to your thread to gauge interest without requiring people to post.

thanks

7. thewandererNick

Sorry can you run me through how to do that. I find there is still plenty to learn when posting things in these forums. I really don't mind so much if that isn't part of the forum, but I notice alot of retailers like to be able to branch out with the hashtag feature. Like pegasusvapes contest they are running. I think they realized by now the feature is not working, but they were telling everyone to use them to get their name out there.

8. InMyImage

Do you mean adding a poll? If so I'll take care of it for you.

As for the hashtags.... I know that they are getting popular because they are used so much with twitter and now facebook. After researching them last night I have a better understanding of what they do because I had never paid attention to them myself. From what I saw it looks like search engines are starting to use them for page ranking also because it help categorize your content.

9. jj2

jj2 Tiggergirl A blip in the Deplorable Basket Contest Organizer

hashtags :blink: well I've heard of them. :facepalm: :laugh:

Guess I need to learn how to use them. :D

10. InMyImage

Now that I've researched them, what the addon does is automatically create an entry in the search system for anything with the # in front of it like #featurerequest and then links it.

If you click on the link, then a popup overlay is displayed that shows you other posts with that same hashtag in them.

The # + word or short phrase put together with no spaces is the "hashtag".

11. thewandererNick

They are actually pretty useful, but I have only used them a handful of times to search for something. That being said, I do know tons of people who go straight for a hashtag search before anything else

12. kelli

kelli The original blip

009_HashtagMonster.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  13. 100%VG

100%VG Did something go Blip?

Uhhh, what's a hashtag, and why should I care? Photobucket keeps bugging me to make hashtags. I prefer hash browns with my scrambled eggs. :D I know you kinda covered that, but consider me oldschool, as in books. I even print out manuals to read them. My yellow highlighter has messed up too many monitors. :laugh:

I picked up on the @ thing, as in @InMyImage pretty fast, so I know there can't be much more to this, but I've never used it. Should I just read up on it in Wikipedia?

@kelli Please don't laugh at me. :blush:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  14. InMyImage

Don't feel bad, I didn't really get them either until researching this. I don't use Twitter and always thought they were just a twitter thing.

Basically let's say you are talking about the brand new ABC 5000 chip. In your post you can put #abc5000 and it would add an entry into the search index for it.

Later someone reads your post, sees the #abc5000 hashtag and then can click on it and see a list of every post in the system that has the #abc5000 hashtag.

Basically it provides a very fast way to search for related content without using the search feature. The weak spot is that you'll only see things where someone thought to use the SAME hashtag.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  15. 100%VG

100%VG Did something go Blip?

Thanks! I think that's a cool feature. Why not? I could mark everything with #kelli :laugh:

16. kelli

kelli The original blip

now i am laughing at you. #hilarious laugh3-smiley.gif

17. InMyImage

18. kelli

kelli The original blip

i've given all that up. maybe.

19. InMyImage

[​IMG]

20. Bigdaddybrink1

Bigdaddybrink1 Recovering Alcoholic blip

well, @InMyImage i've been using #vapingblips on instragram for sometime now, just cause i love the site. hope thats ok!!