R.E.M. not shiny nor happy with The Donald

Discussion in 'In The News... Funny or Serious...' started by kelli, Sep 10, 2015.

1. kelli

kelli The original blip

Clipboard01.jpg

R.E.M. lead singer Michael Stipe and his former bandmates are not feeling shiny or happy about hearing their music used as an entrance song for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump.

The divisive GOP frontrunner bounded onstage Wednesday to the tune of "It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" at the Stop the Iran Deal rally in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday. The tea party-sanctioned event also featured Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), another primary competitor.

Hours later, Stipe responded.

"Go fuck yourselves, the lot of you — you sad, attention grabbing, power hungry little men," the R.E.M. frontman said through a representative in an email to Mic. "Do not use our music or my voice for your moronic charade of a campaign."

• Love This! Love This! x 2
    • List
  2. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

Wouldn't be surprised to hear a lawsuit coming. Just heard another band say they are suing over the use of their song this morning on the news but don't remember who it was or who used it. Heard it in passing while getting Ethan off to school.

This does make me think I might want to create a Political Battleground forum for the next year though huh. Sort of a leave your feelings at the door, pic them up unhurt when you leave?

Thought?

3. kelli

kelli The original blip

sounds like the subforum they have at ECF. it got ugly there, even with the censorship. can't imagine what it would be like here with no holds barred. not a good idea, IMO. i think @daleron can vouch for me on this. political and religious discussions......bad.

oh and guns too.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  4. kelli

kelli The original blip

and the other song you could be thinking of is Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor. another candidate used it and was admonished by that band.

5. InMyImage

So far our gun section seems to be doing ok. Wonder if it is because it is a sub-forum or just because our membership is small and right now everyone here respects each other with just a few exceptions.

That's the one. Seems that I heard that "admonishment" was a promise of a lawsuit though.

6. kelli

kelli The original blip

as long as it's all like-minded people, forums stay civil. ;)

7. InMyImage

Have you been a member of a forum the year of a presidential election?

I can't imagine that there were no conversations/debates...

8. daleron

daleron Just a lurking Blip

Proceed at your own risk ;)

I completely avoid controversial subjects of the above mentioned subjects, not what I come to a vaping forum for ...
    but that's just me :)

9. InMyImage

Yeah, going to have to think about how to handle these topics though. You can't really run a social forum without having political topics pop up from time to time and I have to imagine that it is going to get more common over the next year+

Will take a wait and see approach :hmmm:

10. daleron

So far the Beach crew pretty much have an understanding not to discuss these type things (among ourselves), too easy to drift off into a down right argument and we treasure our friendships too much to endanger it.

Your red NSFW flags works to keep me outta places I know I shouldn't go into :laugh:

11. InMyImage

That's exactly why it's there ;) If I do a political forum I guess it would be useful to put a yellow warning prefix on them as well.

12. kelli

kelli The original blip

that's why you are wise and i am stupid. i get sucked into debates and then i hate myself for doing so.

13. daleron

Now kelli, you know I object to you saying that right? :huh:

None of my friends are stupid and you are MINE! :grr:

• Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  14. kelli

kelli The original blip

ok, maybe not stupid.....is gullible and baitable better? :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. daleron

No ...

You happen to be caring and passionate, nothing wrong with that :wub:

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  16. kelli

kelli The original blip

you're the best. :wub:

17. daleron

No! U! :D

At the risk of being taken wrong, I love you kiddo ;)

• List
  18. kelli

kelli The original blip

kiss blow.gif

• List
  19. Byter

Byter Blissful Blip

I wonder who owns the songs. Artists or Studio. Artist's only recourse may be to moan and trash talk, (which might be pretty effective).

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. kelli

kelli The original blip

it impressed me! :D