1. New Contest - OneStop DIY Time To Get Spooky!!!

Thank You Reddhott Contests, contests, contests!!!

Quick Steep

Discussion in 'Juice and e-Liquid' started by muth, Apr 7, 2015.

1. muth

muth More than a poop!

Has anyone tried the warm water method of quick steeping? If so, does it work well and can you instruct me?

2. moecat

moecat No sodding blips to give

I don't steep. I don't have the patience :p

From ECF:
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ ... eping.html

3. kelli

kelli The original blip

hi muth :)

i have a heated ultrasonic cleaner that does a really good job of speed steeping. an hour or so, and they are good to go, altho somtimes i let them sit in the cabinet until i need them, so they get a little more steeping time. :)

4. muth

muth More than a poop!

Thanks, you two. I am interested in getting one of those ultrasonic cleaners.
    I don't have patience either but since I spent good $$$ on this juice, I wanted to get the best out of it.

5. kelli

kelli The original blip

they are nice, muth. you can use them for all kinds of other stuff too. i clean my tanks, coils, drip tips and what little jewelry i have in it. :)

6. HazyShades

HazyShades In the woodwork...

Hi Muth. The US cleaner is your best bet. I'm waiting for my IRS refund
    so I can spare the fifty bucks.
    But the warn water method that weird guy told you about works well.
    This is how I do it.
    I have veggie steamer/rice cooker.
    Put yer juice in the steamer part on top of the rice cooker/crock pot works in the steamer basket.
    Juice should tightly capped unlike usually recommended. That's to prevent spillage and if you have a juice with alcohol in it
    if the alcohol is part of the flavor rather than only a vehicle to keep it from evaporating.

Glass heat resistant bottles work best. But plastic works as long as it's not the type that warps or melts easy.
    The juice I buy from MFS, the bottles warp so they won't stand up..but they work.

Steam for 30-45 minutes. I shake now and then but you really don't need to since the heat is what's doing the work. As long as you shake it while still warm when you're done.

Let cool and vape..but I always let it sit 3 weeks anyway.
    The quick steep is to get it going and to try my DIY when just mixed.

Have phun
    Back in the woodwork

7. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

Funny, I'm actually doing the hot water soak on the batch of DIY I just finished making. It's my first time trying it so will let you know my thoughts.

What I am using are 120ml Glass dropper bottles and one of those big metal Thermos bowls things.

Heat up the water in the teapot, then put the bottle in a poured it in. The bottle is to tall to put the lid on so I have it sitting next to me to test it periodically with my finger and then will shake and refill when it starts getting cold.

Thanks for thaat rice cooker tip though hasy. I have one of those and hadn't thought about it. Haven't wanted to use the crockpot because is one of those massive wide ones and it would just be a pain unless I were doing a lot, but the steam rice cooker idea would be easy.

I also have an old jerky dryer that I've been thinking about cutting out a couple of spots in one of the tray to let my glass bottles stand up in it and let er rip for 8 hours.

I'd like a USC but from what I saw, my personality wouldn't let me buy the $50 one because it's to small and I'd always want something bigger until I finally bought it. Mom taught be it's better to wait for what you want rather than buy something "cheap" just to buy what you want later and end up spending more in the end.

8. neojuice

neojuice PiL b

I have had very good luck simply dropping the bottles in a thermos filled with however hot you want your water. Seal up tight. Stays almost the same temp for hours. Then I read that heat can hurt nic so I stopped doing this. Now, I don't know what to do about the heat/nic thing. It seems like the use of vibration and time might outperform pure heat baths although I'm only doing menthol high vg blends so really I know very little about flavors.

9. InMyImage

I'm under the impression that the heat/nic issue is a long term storage problem. Pretty much all the quick steep methods, including USC use heat.

BTW Muth, I'm not sure if the hot water method I used improved the flavor of my juice which is mainly cinnamon red hot based anyway so I'm not that surprised... it did an amazing job of getting everything to mix well.

I've been having problems with my flavor look more like a suspension than clear and right now it is crystal clear. I'll know if this continues over the coming days, but if stays clear then I'm sold.

10. Tripster

Tripster Domestic Blipporist...

All I do is uncap the bottles, place them in the timeout corner, let them sit there as long as I can, and hope they can steep without my intervention of vaping them. lol

11. InMyImage

Do you scold them too?

12. Tripster

Tripster Domestic Blipporist...

Yes, I give them a spanking and shaking here and there!

13. InMyImage

Muth, just wanted to let you know that the liquid that I mention that seems to make a suspension has gone back to that state now that it has cooled overnight.

Again, my receipes are very simple right now and should be all shake and vape, so don't take this feedback as a recommendation to not do it, but if you have not already purched a USC, you might want to think about trying one of the water based methods that have been suggested here first since they are cheap and easy. Might turn out that none of your juice need steeping, or that the ones that do don't react as hoped to heat based steeping.

14. Ld3441

Ld3441 Blessed blip!

Opinions vary on heat steeping. Several people in the DIY community tested this theory.
    What they found is that if you keep it at or below 150F degrees there was no problem with the nicotine.

For those looking for an UC a couple of things to consider. A lot of them only have 3 minute timers. The one I got has a 30 minute timer which is a nice feature. I did not get one that has a heat option because it is not needed. The UC will heat anyway and extra heat will cause problems with nicotine if it is not monitored how hot it gets.

Fruits usually don't need much steep if at all but some deserts and tobaccos do. What I do with those (if I don't just set them aside and just give them time) is I put them in the UC for a total of 4 hours alternating 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off. I'm not sure how true but I was told it is better to do it this way due to UC heating up (give it time to cool down a bit) and it is better for the life of the UC itself. Then I give them a few days to a week depending on what it is.

15. ki4uwk

ki4uwk Seriously Committed

What is UC

Sent from my RCT6773W22 using Tapatalk

16. kelli

kelli The original blip

i think she meant ultrasonic cleaner, which is discussed a lot in this thread. :)

17. Roguexx

Roguexx blippy blipperson

I Make max vg juice I always give a hot water bath. It things out the juice and I enjoy it. I heard if you use a crock pot and a hundred fifty degrees 4 hours in there is like a week of steeping

18. ki4uwk

ki4uwk Seriously Committed

Ty

Sent from my RCT6773W22 using Tapatalk

19. Byter

Byter Blissful Blip

What would you do with something like strawberry cheescake? Desert steep? I read somewhere that fruit flavors don't like heat. Would steeping below 150 degrees cause the strawberry flavor to fade you think?

20. Ld3441

Ld3441 Blessed blip!

I don't think the strawberry would fade due to steeping. I would definitely steep cheesecake or any juice that has a combo of flavors. I think most fruits are good without a steep but I don't think a steep (heat or not) will hurt them. This of course is my opinion from my experience and others may have a different opinion. Good luck to you!