Resolved Post editing

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Ld3441, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Ld3441

Ld3441 Blessed blip!

I know you have it set up where we can edit our own post for a short time but can we keep the right to edit our own posts?
    You may have a reason I am not aware of and that is fine if you do. I tend to have typos or after reading what I post it is not clear enough and want to add to it. I also have a bad habit of not proof reading before I hit submit. LOL Just a thought.

2. bobsyeruncle

bobsyeruncle Still a blip ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To the admin: I think the timing on edits is configurable. What's it set to now?

3. Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl Seriously Committed

1.5 hrs I do believe..

4. kelli

kelli The original blip

that may not be nearly long enough. when i am manic, on occasion i post pics i later regret. :?

5. Bigdaddybrink1

Bigdaddybrink1 Recovering Alcoholic blip

Concur.
    maybe limit editing to once you have x number of posts then you can edit whenever. until x number is reached, you're S.O.L.??

6. Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl Seriously Committed

We most likely will not be on this forum software long enough to worry about it..

7. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

One of my biggest issues with VU was the ability to edit posts forever. If you did not quote a post that you were responding to that was inflammatory or disagreed in any way, the person who made the post you were responding to could go back at any time and change their post to make you look like an ass or troll.

I currently have the ability to edit and/or delete a post limited to 30 minutes. I'm open to suggestions on this, but will not be open to letting it be an extended period of time, mainly because I've been the victim of this particular issue and it truly pisses me off.

Note that a moderator (me at the moment) can edit a post for you at any time. I realize that could take some time, and if it becomes an issue because of the kinds of issues that deal with regret or control issues then we can discuss whatever is reasonable.

If there is a large enough out cry, I'm open to the group input with me reserving the right to make a final decision based on their input even if it is longer than what I would like, or possibly a hybrid, like leaving the ability to edit at 30 minutes, but the ability to delete forever. Kind of a window to correct and then the ability to erase a regret at anytime...

8. Bigdaddybrink1

Bigdaddybrink1 Recovering Alcoholic blip

that makes complete sense. i feel ya on this. although i agree wih kelli in that sometimes a while after i post, i wish i wldnt posted it.
    damn it. you both make great points. which on that note, i wldnt object to the OP requesting from a mod/admin to enable them to edit their post.......

9. InMyImage

Actually because of some the requests about PIF boxes and selling things I got to thinking about the fact that it is really common to edit the first post in the thread to indicate changes and updates to the topic.

This is a complicated topic and I'm going to have to give some thought to it, especially given what I know about the users. It could be that the problem is less likely with a closed group where everyone is vouched for to cut down on the troll effect, and maybe it is simply a bit of moderation overhead, or even a repeat offenders permission limitation...

Definitely going to take some thought...

10. Ld3441

Ld3441 Blessed blip!

That is totally understandable. I have no problem with not being able to edit due to asshats. I hope we don't get those here but I guess it is going to happen sometime. I will use preview before I post and try not to need you to edit too much. I don't want to cause anymore work for you.

11. InMyImage

For the time being I went ahead disabled the limit on post editing. We have a close knit group here which will hopefully prevent any issues, but I will revisit the topic after deciding what the final forum software platform will be.

12. Cruel-Phate

Cruel-Phate Bronco blip!

I am getting a error if I try to reply to a post that has to many quotes in it, could be me and I cut a few out and it worked. Just something to watch I guess

13. Ld3441

Ld3441 Blessed blip!

Yea Thomas, you can only have 2 quotes or it won't post.
    They are aware of this and I believe one of the things they are working on. :)

14. InMyImage

Thanks for helping out with the answer Ld :)

15. Cruel-Phate

Cruel-Phate Bronco blip!

Okay, thanks...not a huge deal, just thought I would mention :)