1. Hello Guest,

VapingBlips.com is a social community of vapers gathering to discuss all things vaping and life in general. We have contests, play games, babble about nonsense and even share useful info about vape gear, e-liquids and DIY info.

We have no interest in spammers or trolls and our members have tools that allow them to remove offending posts if enough members rate it as spam or trolling.

We hope you like what you see and decide to register and join us.

If you have any questions, feel free to send an e-mail to [email protected] and we hope to see you soon ;)

PMTA Aftermath

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Legislation' started by muth, Sep 16, 2020.

?

Would you buy a vendor gift certificate to make vape purchases?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Depends

100.0%
  1. muth

muth More than a poop!

Hi everyone of the Blips World. I'm trying to help out a friend who is a manager at Sourcemore (China). They have recently had one of their PayPal accounts restricted for the purpose of banning vape products as have other vape vendors. Below is her letter to me and I would like to respond by taking a poll to see where people stand on this subject. If you would please answer the poll question and then feel free to make comments in the thread if you have any. Thank you:)

One of our PayPal accounts was just restricted and we are unable to use it to accept payment any more.
    We don't know what will happen to the other account.
    We are applying for a new European account which can still be used to accept payment of vape products. But we are not sure when it will be approved.

We are also considering other payment methods.

I just checked Fasttech gift cards, it is not returnable after purchase.
    We are not sure if customers accept this way.
    And we don't have such a function on our website.
    We will try to figure out a better way.
    If you know any other vendors are offering a better method, or you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    Thank you so much!

So far PayPal is the best payment method for online business.
    We use PayPal to receive all the payments of retail orders and part of wholesale orders.

Best regards,
    Moira

The question is too long for the poll box so I'll explain here:

If the only way to make a vape purchase is with a vendor offered gift card but there would not be the option for returns would you buy the gift card? Keep in mind that if your product has a manufacturer defect or has been damaged during shipping you can still receive a replacement directly from the brand manufacturer.

[​IMG]

2. muth

muth More than a poop!

Don't forget, I'd like to hear about any comments or ideas you may have concerning your answer. Thank you:)

3. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

I voted Depends. While I can see not getting a cash refund, dealing with a manufacturer would be so much trouble. Why not a store credit option?

4. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

Is there a link to what she read about the gift cards? I can't find anything. Maybe it meant the gift card isn't returnable for cash refund, but products bought with the gift card still are?

5. muth

muth More than a poop!

My experiences have been nothing but stellar when dealing direct with the brand.
    She didn't provide a link to Fasttech regarding their gift card policy. I'll ask her where she found that information and clarify the policy.

Thank you, Becca for responding. This is helpful.

6. muth

muth More than a poop!

FastTech securely accepts the following payment methods:
    • VISA
    • MasterCard
    • American Express
    • Discover
    • PayPal
    • e-Check, Debit Card, and EFT (through PayPal)
    • Select cryptocurrencies

Except for orders containing nicotine products, where payment can only be processed by PayPal, you can choose to place orders with or without using PayPal.

If you choose PayPal, please note that PayPal is completely free to use, with no account and no signup required. For more about PayPal, please see PayPal on Wikipedia and PayPal's website.

You may also order from FastTech without using PayPal. For your protection, FastTech does not store any financial information that customers enter. Sensitive information is securely discarded after transmitting to clearing banks.

The question here is, will these credit card companies start restricting like PayPal?

I'll need to contact Fasttech with questions. Meanwhile, here is the only other info I found on the subject of GCs. And it's not current 2020.

https://www.fasttech.com/forums/order-support/t/2132041/gift-certificates/1?sscid=91k4_gmyxr

7. jj2

jj2 Tiggergirl A blip in the Deplorable Basket Contest Organizer

Same here.

8. muth

muth More than a poop!

Thank you Becca and jj2. I found this just now. I think it says the GC is not refundable after purchase. It doesn't say anything about the products you purchase with it but I will contact them and get an update. Good for 5 years isn't bad, though. (I believe you have to be logged in to see this).

https://www.fasttech.com/account/ordergiftcertificates

9. muth

muth More than a poop!

I opened a ticket at FT and asked them in a clear manner if GC purchases are protected by their usual refund policy and about their GCs regarding the purchase of e-cigs, especially if the GC is purchased through PayPal.

I can't imagine PayPal being privy to what you buy on a GC you purchase through them but who knows in this day and age, lol.

10. Glam

Glam Technically challenged beach blip.

I am not sure I understand the situation, but I am thinking I would not want to buy a gift card for vaping gear. I do not understand why using a credit card instead of Paypal would not be an option. I voted no to using a gift card....mainly because I would hope there would be another option if PayPal is not available.

11. muth

muth More than a poop!

Thank you Glam:). The situation is that, with the PMTA here in the US and other countries imposing bans on vape products, they are controlling restrictions through the banking system. This is the most sensible option for them because they can not inspect every package at customs or the USPS sorting stations. It has already started with PayPal and now consumers are speculating the credit card (banks) companies will fall in line. Banks are not willing to be fined or be in violation of the laws.

As a consequence, vape vendors are trying to create other ways to be able to sell their products. A vendor issued gift card may be our only option at the moment. If you have any more thoughts, positive or negative, I'd love to hear them.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  12. muth

muth More than a poop!

@Glam Just to add, as you probably already know, some vendors offer payment by CC and/or PP. The question is when will the credit card companies fall in line with PayPal's current e-cig purchase restrictions?

13. Glam

Glam Technically challenged beach blip.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew the restrictions were coming, but did not realize they were going to be reinforced via the banking system. PayPal has always had it in for vaping products, but were not really strict about it. Sigh....guess that is coming to an end. As a libertarian, I am totally against most government regulations. Seems when they stick their noses in, things almost always go badly. I screamed and hollered to all my congressional reps....fell on deaf ears.

I guess using a gift certificate would certainly be a better choice than no access at all.

14. muth

muth More than a poop!

15. muth

muth More than a poop!

@Glam I did the same thing. I'm a libertarian myself. The only regulations I approve of are the ones that make sense for public safety or the betterment of the masses. But it's never about that or it's the government's idea of public safety. They never think to ask us.

16. muth

muth More than a poop!

Here is the answer from Fasttech:

"Yes, paid by gift certificate also has the same refund policy as paid by PayPal." - FastTech support

Here is the link (and you have to be logged in to see it).

https://www.fasttech.com/account/ordergiftcertificates

HeavensGiftsLetter.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  17. muth

muth More than a poop!

@Glam @glassgrl and anyone else concerned. I hope my above post clears up some questions about Fasttech's Gift Certificate policy. Of course, we no longer will have PayPal's support if things go south but "beggars can't be choosers" so to speak:rolleyes:. We'll have to place trust in the higher vape faeries.:)

Please share this with your friends who might be interested.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. muth

muth More than a poop!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  19. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

OK, that makes a lot more sense than what your Sourcemore person thought. I've never bought from them before but if they do gift certificates the same way, I might. Having a blanket no return policy on products when paying with a GC makes no good sense to me and I wouldn't buy from any company who did that.

20. jj2

jj2 Tiggergirl A blip in the Deplorable Basket Contest Organizer

I've purchased through them a couple of times and had no problems.

Glad to hear the GC option though. At some point, those who haven't took this serious is going to get a hard wake up call.