Political Moved Items

Discussion in 'Political Banter' started by ghost62, Nov 2, 2016.

1. TheWestPole

TheWestPole A hit on Mr. Mitty

It's an interesting comparison. Both cities have historically decreasing murder rates, but NYC's decrease has been more radical. In fact, NYC's murder rate is at the low end of the spectrum among big American cities.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-is-london-really-deadlier-than-new-york

0.1-US-cities-by-murder-rate.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. TheWestPole

A gun owner and true progressive. Hermano! :nun:

3. TheWestPole

4. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

Just wanted to point out that: our murder rate as a country, by any means (gun, knife, strangulation, poisoning, shoving down the stairs, whatever), is still 4 times that of England and Wales.....at least, as of March 2016-March 2017 (UK Office of National Statistics). It's much higher than any "western" country. Why London? Who knows? You could ask the same question about Chicago, which usually has 500 murders per year, give or take, with a considerably smaller population than London.

The only reason I looked into the numbers is that, when I was planning to move to England, I was researching all kinds of things. Homicide by guns totalled 50 that year. That made me smile. 50, for the entire country. I thought, "How great!".

Regardless of the murderous means to the "end", we're looking pretty sad in this regard. We hear about the awful things that have happened in Mexico but they are happening here too, on a regular basis......just not the beheadings, which seem so gruesome and dramatic. We are just as barbaric. We hardly qualify as a "western" country any more, and it is we who originally set that standard.

Don't get me started on health care :lol:.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

That's because NYC has developed and practiced a successful program to control gang violence. LA picked up on it, conferring with NYC, and it's working there, too. Chicago has a stick up their ass and is dragging their feet but supposedly, before I left, was working with NYC police to develop the same sort of program.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. TheWestPole

FWIW, both are cities with populations of ~8.5 million--with contrasting gun laws of course, which was the point of the OP.

Right. If NYC and LA can do it, there's still hope for Chicago.

7. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

Oh yes - I realize that. By "why London" - I just meant: what is the cause of it now? ---the increase in murders, that is.

I had to look at the population because it still didn't make sense to me; thought London was bigger, and it is. In that article, they compare the population of Chicago and all its collar counties (the 8 million number, which includes all the suburbs) to London (8 million) but the London number doesn't include the home counties ("suburbs").... that would bump the London metro population up by around 50%. They're not comparing the same population numbers.

You'd think these people that write such articles would at least check Wiki :laugh:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  8. muth

muth More than a poop!

I can't decide if they report these numbers with deceptive purpose or they're just too lazy to look further? I suppose it depends on the source (and money and bribes and......)

9. muth

muth More than a poop!

The only thing that makes us "Western" is.......I don't even know anymore. I couldn't think of anything. John Wayne:p? It's pitiful.

10. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  11. TheWestPole

I take your point. I don't get much insight from the article, which is why I focused instead on how 'notoriously violent' NYC isn't all that in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. muth

muth More than a poop!

:rofl:Hahaha, I was in this thread to post the same thing for you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  13. TheWestPole

34984365_10204730544541519_1169481455391211520_n.jpg

14. ghost62

ghost62 Goes Blip In The Night Staff Member Moderator Vendor Safe Zone Moderator

Tim, c'mon dude. This is obviously a fake.
    His hands are too big.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. muth

muth More than a poop!

Maybe it's the mood I'm in but instead of striking me as funny or amusing, it makes me ill.

• Optimistic / Sympathy Optimistic / Sympathy x 3
    • List
  16. muth

muth More than a poop!

17. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

Another oops did I say that out loud? Commander of Cheese. President Chump. Chump and Cheese. Chump E. Cheese. I'm finding it hard to laugh at these anymore. Cananda ffs? Who doesn't get along with Canada? But NK has amazing beaches that a condo would look good on. :confused:

18. muth

muth More than a poop!

19. muth

muth More than a poop!

I've never seen Charlie Chaplin's movie, The Dictator, but here's his famous speech that continues to inspire and give hope.

20. muth

muth More than a poop!

For those of you who didn't watch the Tony Awards. Here's the Parkland students performing Seasons of Love......