Microscopic text and config questions/bitching

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by neojuice, Apr 25, 2015.

1. neojuice

neojuice PiL b

So looks wise nothing's configurable, right? It's wswg? The text was small before and now is much smaller. I can't see shit. Can I change this in my browser? Can we dump the incomprehensible column on the right?

The overall graphical look is fabulous but I'm snowblind. The background overshadows everything especially the tiny text. The whole thing is a giant white blur. User options?

2. Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl Seriously Committed

What browser you using?

My text shows as black on a very light blue background.

I have the 'Zoom Page' add-on for FF and set to 120% zoom as default.. looks ok to me ATM.

However, the next thing to do is get inputs for theme adjustments from people who like a dark background, are colorblind, need larger text, etc so we can make those changes and let the user pick which one bests suits them.

3. neojuice

neojuice PiL b

ok thanks for the fast response. google chrome. my background is snow white and I will try to do the zoom thing in chrome.

also why didn't my post show up in new posts when I hit new posts? looks like it's in recent posts. what's the difference between new posts and recent posts?

4. Ld3441

Ld3441 Blessed blip!

Neo, I think your post didn't show up in "new posts" because you had already seen it. I could be wrong but I think that is why.

I also use chrome and have a white background, boxes are pale blue. It took a bit to get use to but is fine with me. I would suggest when you put new themes in that you go middle ground maybe? Not light or dark but somewhere in between. That is probably no help at all but just adding what I see with chrome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Midniteoyl

LD is correct again.. New Posts is for post that you have not seen.. Since you made the Thread and/or Post, you will not see it as 'New' ;)

6. Ld3441

Ld3441 Blessed blip!

Damn, I'm on a roll! :p
    Thanks Midnite for confirming.

7. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

At the request of the users, we brought made the new site live before we could work on the Style Templates.

The goal isto actually have a couple templates for people to choose from. Everyone will not be forced to use the same template. This was true at the old site as well.

@Midniteoyl and I spent a lot of time evaluating templates that are out there and didn't see anything that we could just use as is and there would have been a lot of effort to get them integrated with the site in a way that makes them easy to maintain and upgrade as we go because very few of them are based on the primary theme used by the software.

Creating themes is a labor intensive process and there actually are probably close to a hundred different granular color settings for everything from the bottom of a single button to the middle to the top of the same button. That is what makes the 3d look.

Because of the effort to get something that fits the best practice model that I want to establish from day 1, we decided to go ahead and release the site and deal with themes over the next couple of weeks (yes weeks) so that everyone could get running here.

I do understand that the font size is going to be an issue for several users, so I think it makes sense to prioritize a theme that has the same look and feel as this one but uses larger fonts. Becaue button and menu bar sizing will have to be adjust this will still take several days to complete, but the nice thing is that because of the model we are going to implement, the work will be easily reasuable as a foundation for other themes ;)

And never be afraid to "bitch" about something, as long as it is constructive I don't mind simply because I want the software to be as usable as it can be for as many people as possible... without creating a customize experience for every individual of course... ;)

8. Midniteoyl

• Love This! Love This! x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. neojuice

neojuice PiL b

^thankyouverymuchyouaresocoolthankyouverymuchyouaresocoolthankyouverymuchyouaresocoolthankyouverymuchyouaresocoolthankyouverymuchyouaresocoolthankyouverymuchyouaresocoolthankyouverymuchyouaresocoolthankyouverymuchyouaresocoolthankyouverymuchyouaresocoolthankyouverymuchyouaresocoolthankyouverymuchyouaresocoolthankyouverymuchyouaresocoolthankyouverymuchyouaresocoolthankyouverymuchyouaresocoolthankyouverymuchyouaresocool

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  10. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

Don't forget to breathe :)

11. muth

muth More than a poop!

I like the helpful info above but I think I'll wait for the forum to develop those options for us. Reading the reviews of this extension tells me that there are some frustrating aspects to it. Apps can do that sometimes:oops:

12. Midniteoyl

Ya, they can.. especially when the layout is set.. However, simply zooming the text should cause no problem. My default is 120% for the whole page, with some sites (Such as this one) having it set to 133% with no ill affects..

Also, and I dont know about Chrome, but usually you can go into the browser settings and define the minimum text size, color and font you want to see and this setting will override most sites as well.. For example, my min text size is set to 16 in FF to offset my high resolution setting on my monitor, which makes the text smaller the higher you go.

13. Midniteoyl

For example: Here is a screenshot of this page with zoom set to 100% (see upper right, by the stop sign)

[​IMG]

And here it is with zoom whole page set at 133%.. big difference, but doesnt change the site layout or anything.

[​IMG]

14. muth

muth More than a poop!

Ok, @Midniteoyl , I'm going to mess around with that right now. I see that there are more than one option to tweak text. There is a choice of just very small to very large, a choice where you slide bar it to the desired size that automatically shows the result and a font style choice that within it has a size selection. And there is a page zoom. I wonder if I should just go with that first?

15. muth

muth More than a poop!

@Midniteoyl What happened was I used the slide-bar and it made everything on the forum larger but not the text within the post. Now what? I'm gonna keep tweaking.

16. Midniteoyl

Keep testing.. I dont have Chrome, so dont know how they set that app up to work. I just find them :)

17. Midniteoyl

Best thing I would think it simply Page Zoom as I have mine set.. It will zoom the button text as well.

18. muth

muth More than a poop!

I can't seem to change the text in the post. I wanted serif and a little larger.

19. Ld3441

Ld3441 Blessed blip!

I have chrome.
    I clicked the 4 horizontal bars, top right. Half way down the drop menu you will see zoom.
    Mine is on 125% which is perfect to me. It enlarged it all.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. muth

muth More than a poop!

It says advanced font setting requires extension. Is the text in our posts changeable right now?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015