1. Support to VapingBlips...

Donate now to help VB continue to be your social and vaping home.Read more here...

2. New Contest - OneStop DIY Word Game!!!

Thank You Reddhott Contests, contests, contests!!!

Metal Art and Craftsmanship

Discussion in 'Artwork: Painting, Sculpture, etc...' started by Lisa66, May 6, 2015.

1. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

That really is a gorgeous pendant T! Reminds me of jellyfish tentacles.

I'm still playing with casings. Itty bitty .22s
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Love This! Love This! x 3
    • List
  2. TheWestPole

TheWestPole A hit on Mr. Mitty

Lovely, Becca, especially the brass patinas you posted a few days ago. :love: Can't help it, but beautiful ammo jewelry always reminds me of this:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  3. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

Thanks Tim! You're right, there is a duality thing going on. Good movie and association. :)

4. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

Oh, man, @glassgrl, you're killing me! The red crystal is unbelievably striking, especially on a......bullet. All the earrings? Wow. Great designs. This is the first I had seen your earrings.

I can't get to the basement to do anything, except scrounge for boxes and take "extra" furniture, etc down there. I'm "staging" my house and it is consuming every waking hour until I'm done. I hope to get a break to do some stuff down there soon; my acetylene tank will have to go back to AirGas in about a month.

• Optimistic / Sympathy Optimistic / Sympathy x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

Thanks Lisa. Just started making them. I've had the casings for years but they all needed to be drilled. Got my brother to do it by feeding him. He's easy. :)

Why are you staging? Are you selling and moving?

6. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

Yup. House goes on the market next week. Closing on a house in FL June 1. We'll have both for a little while...hopefully not too long. I didn't want to go through the crazy all-at-once move, but the market around here is a lot more sophisticated than when I moved in....

7. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

That's a big move! It'll be nice for you to have only 2 weeks of winter instead of 4 months. lol

8. dubya

dubya Headbanging Blip

You're leaving me in the dust? :glare: Or in the shotgun capital of the world as we like to call it :laugh: Anyway, Good for you Lisa, hope the move goes well, and just wanted to say I love viewing this thread and all the amazing talent @Lisa66 @tcgrna @glassgrl :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

:lol: Yup. Leaving the land of high taxes, shitty climate and gang violence :). I was ready to leave 5 years ago..... couldn't get hubs to do it. I'm unemployed and he can work from wherever he wants, so now is the time.

Believe me, I could use a few nights creating something, anything. Stressed out to the max in this competitive market. Fingers crossed.

Yes----and finally, out of the dungeon. Natural light to work in, a first for me. Yay! Although, I will sort of miss my dirty, dark basement. It's been mine, all mine, amidst the cat boxes, tacky Christmas yard decorations under the stairs and noisy furnace :laugh:.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  10. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

Had one piece of that memory wire hanging around here and this happened. More casings, my beads and some rock beads.
    [​IMG]

• Love This! Love This! x 2
    • List
  11. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

Holy cow.....gorgeous and my wallet is open, as usual.....:laugh:. Let me know. The beads are fantastic! using casings as links, I just love it. I'm definitely a bracelet fan.

I am so bummed, I just cannot seem to get to the basement. Gotta turn that tank in soon and will be stuck with propane, not so great for me. Had to hide the acetylene tank during showings so nobody freaks and tells on me, lol (it's a no-no here). I vow to get down there this week. I'm going to pick up an idea where I left off on a couple pieces I made over a year ago.

12. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

Good luck getting some creative time in Lisa! I know about hiding the stuff but we don't have those restrictions. I have the propane tank outside with the hose running into the window. The neighbor asked me if I was making meth. Thank you Breaking Bad. :laugh:

That bracelet is pretty much a prototype but more of them are in the future. :)

13. muth

muth More than a poop!

@Lisa66 Hi Lisa, hope your move went smoothly and you're all settled in, now.

Can I get your advice on something metal? I have a Goblin that I want to modify. First I'm going to try to find an O-ring that will fit the bottom fill screw (not supposed to have one, but it leaks). Then I want to drill a fill hole on the top side. If my idea works I'd like to make it permanent by sealing the bottom screw with something nontoxic. Would silver solder be a good choice?

14. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

I assume it is made of steel? You can solder steel with silver solder....I did it with some forged mild steel, using hard silver solder that is about 75% silver and 25% zinc (the zinc burns off). However, I assume you are talking about stainless, and I'm not sure how heating that up to soldering temp might affect it (?)....as in, the appearance of it. Might discolor it? I don't know.

Not sure about paste solders, which work at much lower temperatures, as I don't use them. They tend to have very little silver in them and a lot of other crap, often lead, which is fine and not a problem for many things but probably not good for your tank. There are some that do not contain lead, I believe. That might be an option?

But - yes, I think it could be done if the screw is a tight fit. Silver solder isn't like plumbing solder.....as in: it does not fill gaps (and hold successfully for any length of time)....there has to be really good contact throughout the join. I would worry about filling all the space and making it devoid of any air at all so it doesn't still leak. That would be the challenge. And if it isn't done the first time, the screw would be stuck in there, partially soldered.....almost impossible to re-solder because you wouldn't be able to clean the oxidation off the surfaces in there in order to try again.

Big help, huh? :laugh: Just my thoughts. Not a lot of experience here with steel.

15. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

@muth : Forgot to mention....Bill has steel welding experience. He might be able to shed some light on this, if he is around. Also, Becca might be able to give you some info on paste solders.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  16. muth

muth More than a poop!

Most of these tanks are made of 304 ss. Any discolorization would be on the bottom of the tank and not visible, so that's not an issue. I thought I could solder the silver around the threads and quickly screw in the screw, if that's possible.

17. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

I :love: metal!

• Love This! Love This! x 2
    • List