1. New Contest - OneStop DIY Time To Get Spooky!!!

Thank You Reddhott Contests, contests, contests!!!

Metal Art and Craftsmanship

Discussion in 'Artwork: Painting, Sculpture, etc...' started by Lisa66, May 6, 2015.

1. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

I don't know if the following qualifies as art but it is what I have been doing for about a year.

I love metal and rock!

I grew up with a dad who was talented in lapidary arts and made jewelry for family in order to share his work. I spent many a family vacation digging, scooping, panning, etc. Of course I loved the jewelry (I have a turquoise bracelet designed by me at 13 or 14 and made by my dad) - but I only took an interest in working with it recently. I love rocks, but am really focused more on metal. I like making it do things....I am learning and I get lost in it!

Anyway, I am posting some of my work. I already shared this in another thread so I apologize for hogging resources.

Brazlian agate, cut by my dad:
    [​IMG]

Lake Superior agate, collected on family vacation:
    [​IMG]

Moon pendant (moonstone)
    [​IMG]

Brazilain agate, cut by me:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tube set CZ, I bought the material I made the band from, everything else is mine:
    [​IMG]

Nevada turquoise "tidal pool" ring:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Forged copper cuff:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
    • Love This! Love This! x 7
    • List
  2. Cruel-Phate

Cruel-Phate Bronco blip!

Beautiful work Lisa :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  3. moecat

moecat No sodding blips to give

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  4. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

Beautiful work Lisa! I especially like what you've done with the agates. I love, love, love the bezel setting and bail on the Brazilian!!! Oh, and the asymmetric agate cuff, fun!

I goof around with metals...my first bezel settings are laughable. Mostly I work with glass. Beads, cabs, smallish sculpture. Some jewelry that mostly gets given away. I'll see what I have left in the way of pictures after the computer fail. I think they're in a folder somewhere on this thing.

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  5. kelli

kelli The original blip

ooooh......pretty!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  6. Just Me

Just Me BiTcHy Blip

Really pretty work!! I should send you this necklace i have the stones came out and let you remake something for yourself. Thing cost me over $200 but i never wore it, stones are baltic amber. I am sure you could do something with them

7. Just Me

Just Me BiTcHy Blip

Here is what it looks like. Pm me an address if you want it. 14309306393651361982238.jpg

8. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

I just realized that the pendant where I cut out the back I called "Brazilian". Didn't mean to say that for any rock buffs out there......it's Botswana agate.

9. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

For the life of me I cannot get the multi-quote to work...

Oops - the "striped" pendant is not Brazilian agate, it's Botswana agate, for any rock buffs out there.

Why haven't you worn it? Impulse buy that turned out not to be "you"? I could relate to that. It's a lovely piece. I suspect that the amber was epoxied in. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.....it's just that there are very few products out there that work well. That piece could be reworked into a fabulous bracelet....conversation forthcoming. :)

10. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

Thank you so much!

I dabbled in stained/leaded glass for a few years. Sounds like you are doing torch work. Nice to meet someone else who enjoys fire!

I would LOVE to see anything you do!

11. GFrost

GFrost blips on parade

Nice work Lisa. I can always appreciate something made with bare hands

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. moecat

moecat No sodding blips to give

Ok @Lisa66 , now I'm imagining you to be something along these lines :D :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  13. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

Heh-heh! How did you know how much I love Mike?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  14. TheWestPole

TheWestPole A hit on Mr. Mitty

Hi @Lisa66. Some very pretty pieces here. Are you working mostly from silver stock, tooling, forming, soldering, etc. Or are also you casting in some of those pieces? The images are small and I can't tell on a couple.

Also do you have a link to your portfolio online with higher res images?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  15. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

This is all fabrication; sheet metal. I've not done casting. I use whatever tools I can.....some I make because, well, It's cheaper!

For instance, the band on the turquoise ring is two pieces of sheet metal, sawn according to my design, then sweat-soldered (by first tinning fully one side of one of the pieces with hard silver solder) together in order to give the variation in the surface and a nice heavy feel, then giving the texture with a punch I made out of a very large nail, then forming the band before solderng onto the backplate/bezel assembly.

The flower was sawn, given texture with another nail punch, and the petals were formed by hammer over various sized heads of a cheap set of dapping punches from Harbor Freight, held in a vise. The tube setting is just a classic tube setting made from thick-walled tubing. Bulk of material removed with ball burs, followed by setting bur, and then the stone popped in and burnished.

Sorry, I do not really have a portfolio..... Just phone pics at this point!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. TheWestPole

TheWestPole A hit on Mr. Mitty

Well, let us know when/if you start selling. :)

17. Wayjazzy

Wayjazzy Active Member

Does anyone here do stained glass? I've been doing it for about 20 years. Below is my biggest piece, which is 3' x 3'. It is mounted in our synagogue.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  18. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

Love it, Wayjazzy!

19. muth

muth More than a poop!

Thx @Lisa66 for posting the link. Your work is beautiful. Wouldn't mind buying some! So, yep, now I know why you own those vises:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  20. jj2

jj2 Tiggergirl A blip in the Deplorable Basket Contest Organizer

I saw her things in real life and let me tell you, I was impressed!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List