Making an acrylic bell cap top fill

Discussion in 'Atomizers and Rebuildables' started by glassgrl, Jun 1, 2015.

1. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

***update*** don't try this yet and screw up your bell cap. Pretty sure this is going to NEED a plug. Had some leaking when the juice level is above the atty. Damn it. Wish I had some of those old genesis bungs still around.

I just got some subtank mini bell caps from fasttech Friday. I was just about to use one when I thought what a PITA this is going to be to fill, and not much room for juice taking it off the base. So...it's plastic right? And I have small pointy objects and fire.
    So easy. I heated up a 1/16" drill bit held in a wire vise. The first one I did was sideways, up near the top. It punched through like buttah. It did leave a bit of a mound of plastic around the hole, but a small metal file took care of that. Couple scratches, not bad.
    The second one I did from the top. It's thicker acrylic so I had to heat and poke a few times. Came out nice and clean.

So...I'm not going to bother with plugging these holes, but you could. I found some small tapered clear silicone plugs used for powder coating that would work (ebay). The box mods don't tip over often, so I'm leaving them for now. Actually, that's mostly because I don't need 200 of them and don't know a powdercoater who might have a few. lol

Pictures- I know, I know. Messy work bench. Usually I dust more often.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    • Love This! Love This! x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • List
  2. TheWestPole

TheWestPole A hit on Mr. Mitty

So the Subtank doesn't leak or flood with the tank unsealed?

3. kelli

kelli The original blip

i have no idea what you are talking about, becca. but you are so smart and talented. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  4. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

This has been driving me nuts all day. So, yeah. Turns out it most definitely needs a plug of some sort. So, no kelli, I'm just...not. lol

• Optimistic / Sympathy Optimistic / Sympathy x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. Cruel-Phate

Cruel-Phate Bronco blip!

I am sure @Donald Bickers will be interested with what your doing here with it :)

6. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

OK. No more leaks now. After looking around for something to plug the hole, trying a few things that didn't work, I sat down at the table to pout. Right there was a bag of subtank mini parts, including 2 extra rda screws. They fit the hole perfectly. I'm not a big fan of plastic to metal connections, but this will do for awhile. It sticks out some and looks sorta Frankenstein-ish. lol Done for tonight. But it doesn't leak anymore. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  7. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

Not pretty, totally works.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I filled that one up while it was laying down sideways. I put the silicone plug in the top while filling, but I don't know if that made a difference or not. I'm pretty jazzed about this, it fixes the only issue I had with the STM, and that was taking off the whole top part to fill.

8. PaulBHC

PaulBHC New Member

Kidney Puncher sells the silicone fill plugs for RSST gennies for around $2 for 10. Not pretty but at least a source.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  9. muth

muth More than a poop!

Yes you are! I love hearing about your diy escapades:)

10. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

One further escapade on this. Just for you @muth. lol

Don't put your (at least the modified ones) in pure grain alcohol to clean. I have no idea why this happens, but they crack. Big long zigzag this-ain't-good cracks. Even the side-hole one had fatal cracks all up through the thick top part.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. TheWestPole

TheWestPole A hit on Mr. Mitty

Probably acrylic. Decent polycarbonate wouldn't do that.

12. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

They're definitely acrylic.