1. Giveaway Contests Page!!!

Enter to Win FREE STUFF! Contests, contests, contests!!!

Lounging on the Beach

Discussion in 'Purely Social' started by jj2, Nov 18, 2015.

1. jj2

jj2 Tiggergirl A blip in the Deplorable Basket Contest Organizer

Pi went with mom and Izzy arrived tired. Killing time until nap time. Good use of Disney channel. Of course then I have to go work! 8-o

2. Wuzznt Me

Wuzznt Me Native Florida Cracker

Good afternoon Beach. Got up and left early to mow our Debary house. Still felt good so I mowed the Church. Got home and decided since I was already dirty and wet with sweat to mow here. Still got some other work to do at the Church but it sure is nice to have everything mowed at once. Tomorrow morning some pruning and weed killer and I should be through by noon. The muggy meter is pegged today and we've got "air you can wear" lol. People think I'm nuts and they're probably right but I luv me some summer.

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. 100%VG

100%VG Did something go Blip?

Hi, JJ. :wub: I'm doing fine, just getting a late start here. Been doing online stuff and got lost in it. No bad weather to report. I'm not really expecting any until Monday or later, some time after landfall. But New Orleans was flooding yesterday. :ohmy: They have the Mississippi River to deal with, and they are surrounded by lots of water. On top of that, they are very close to the Gulf of Mexico. We have the Red River going through here, but not much in the way of bodies of water. I'm just hoping that the Eye doesn't pass over us.
    If I may, I'd like to ask what you use for weed killer. I've been seeing all the commercials about Roundup causing cancer and I'm wondering if there's something safer. I have some very stubborn poison ivy. I've been pulling it and getting the roots out, and the runners too when I can, but it keeps coming back anyway.

4. Wuzznt Me

Wuzznt Me Native Florida Cracker

I stopped using Roundup when I heard that. I get my water from a well and don't like using many chemicals in the yard. 1 gallon white vinegar, 1 cup of either salt or Borax, 1 tablespoon of liquid dish detergent. The dish detergent is a wetting agent so the stuff doesn't run off the weeds. That will take care of most stuff. Boiling water also works.... like instantly. The vinegar mix doesn't keep them from coming back so I have to do it a little more often but it sure gets it done safely. It's a lot more effective in hot sun so I put it out early in the morning and wait for Sol to show up which won't be long here in the Sunshine State. Not very expensive either.

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  5. jj2

Well you know my thoughts---

Didn't stay long at the church. Got up there and they had most of it done. Pi and mom weren't there. Come to find out Pi & another kid was climbing boxes and she took a tumble. Got the inside of her lower lip pretty good so mom took her to have her checked out. No stitches but on a strong antibiotic and pain killer if needed.
    She is now on the couch for quiet time.

• Optimistic / Sympathy Optimistic / Sympathy x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

jj - :rolleyes:. They wouldn't be kids if they weren't hurting themselves every now and then.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

@100%VG : Unfortunately, the only way to eradicate it is to get it all the way down to its roots. Trust me; I moved into a poison ivy garden at my last house.....vining up trees, etc. The two options are mechanically pulling it or using Roundup. Period. Mechanically pulling it would be ideal but it always seems you miss some.

What Wuzz suggests should keep it at bay very well. My brother did something like that. Regarding the Roundup thing, a major part of the issue is that people don't heed the directions when using the product (gloves, not getting it on yourself, not properly washing things you used to distribute it, inhaling aerosol, etc.). Plus, I've seen no research; only lawyer commercials. Remember the years of legal fiasco over breast implants, for no real reason other than some poor women with unrelated immune disorders? What about people who continue to smoke despite the warnings and research? You can use Roundup, acephate products, etc etc as long as safety warnings are heeded, without exposure.

Here is how I used Roundup in a minimal way and got rid of a ton of poison ivy completely; it never returned in 17 years. I had tried to get rid of it by pulling it, to no avail. I never sprayed Roundup and never have, because it gets everywhere. You just want to get your target. Gloves! Gloves that you will then remove, put in a plastic bag and throw away. First, cut away most of the ivy (gloves on) and put it wherever you intend to dispose of it (trash, don't burn!). Leave a few sprigs with leaves so you can see where the remainder is. Then, put on your disposable gloves. Put Roundup on your gloves and swipe what remains with your gloved hands. The Roundup will circulate within the plant naturally, all the way to the roots, and it will die, without killing everything around it. Preferably, do this when rain is not expected for a while.

I learned this from someone who took down a nasty neighbor's willow tree (illegally planted where we lived, city ordinance, due to the damage they do to foundations, pipes, etc.). He sneaked out at night a few times, just touching the tree in a few places with Roundup/gloves. The tree just looked like it was gradually declining and then finally croaked..... :laugh:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  8. daleron

daleron Just a lurking Blip

Good evening beachmates :) Free at last! :headbang:

• Love This! Love This! x 8
    • List
  9. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

Hi, Dale. :)

Fridaycatdance_zps403c4d81 copy.gif

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. daleron

11. 100%VG

100%VG Did something go Blip?

Thanks, Mon Cher! :wub: I copied the whole thing you wrote, pasted it into to new Word document, and saved it to my Desktop. I'm expecting a lot of rain with the storm that's coming, so I'll perform your procedure after everything dries out. :D

12. daleron

Good night beachmates :wub:

13. jj2

Son and family just left. It's like a whirlwind as they pack up and leave.
    They'll be back for pizza and pool Saturday. The occasion is to fix the tower for DH.

Good night beach :) :wub:

14. tgcrna

tgcrna Be good to yourself and kind to others...

The sweetest cat EVER! Grover: June 2001 - July 11, 2019

IMG_1146.jpeg

• Optimistic / Sympathy Optimistic / Sympathy x 9
    • List
  15. Blue1

Blue1 Blip Charm Vendor

Found this in the que.......
    Good morning Beach & Lifeguards.........
    Fingers crossed for you Dale...... I'm not sure what I am going to do today....except a nap is in order..... maybe some shopping

16. Blue1

Blue1 Blip Charm Vendor

My deepest sympathies to you & your family Tink.......

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  17. Blue1

Blue1 Blip Charm Vendor

Good night Beach.......

18. daleron

:cry:

So sorry Tink (((Hugs))). He had a long life.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love This! Love This! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. MRSpivey

MRSpivey Faith, Hope, & Love...

Sorry Tink.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  20. Sundrinkr

Sundrinkr Enough is as good as a feast.

Aw Tink, that precious baby. I am so sorry that you have lost Grover.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List