Resolved List of posts based upon the time of post ONLY

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by neojuice, Apr 25, 2015.

1. neojuice

neojuice PiL b

IMI ok in BD 1.0 under the category called Forum Tips n' Tricks I posted this:

"This is user tweakable and is a change from the default setting.

Go to: User Control Panel>Board Preferences>Edit Display Options>Display post order direction:> change from ascending to descending
    This probably isn't for everyone, but what you can do is when you bring up View active topics or View new posts you can click right on the topic header and the newest posts will be at the top. Allows for speed surfing the forum for the latest. Great feature and I love it. May take some getting used to but works like a charm."

OK this tweak in BD 1.0 made it so when the user clicked on View active topics ALL posts were displayed based only upon the time of posting with the newest at the top. BD 2.0 totally lacks the ability to see all posts based upon the time order of the posts but you could do it in BD 1.0. I know because I was doing it the whole time. That's why I posted the tweak under tips 'n tricks. Also the newest posts were at the top of every thread and continued in a descending fashion (opposite of what it is now and of vu). Then you guys said just click the little red thing but I knew I had a way better thing than that and I didn't fight about it.

So, in conclusion, how about something like if the user clicks on recent posts on the right ALL posts come up based upon the order of time posted for like the last 24 hours or the last 200 posts or something? Possible? Also, something similar for Newest Threads on the right would be great.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  2. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

First, I'm sorry that you seem to be frustrated and disappointed in some of the recent changes based on some of the features that you enjoyed with platform that the forum was previously running on.

I went back to the old forum and read through the tip you posted and tested it to make sure that I understand what you are asking for.

Currently there are several ways to access the recent activity at a high level that is sorted in a descending order, but unfortunately after doing some research there does not appear to be a feature in the software or an add-on that we could implement in the system to accomplish a descending sort order at the post level within a thread.

We actually are now running the same software as VU and I went over there and as far as I could tell with regards to your requests, everything you can do there you can also do here, which is to say that I couldn't locate a way to sort the posts in a thread using a descending sort order. If you know how to configure this at VU, let me know and I will dig into this further.

As for higher levels, on the menu bar at the top of the page, there is a link for "New Posts". Click on that link takes you to a page with the threads with recent activity displayed in descending order based on the last post time. The same is true of the Recent Posts panel in the side bar.

Something that you don't have at VU is the panel in the sidebar with the most recent threads sorted in a descending order by the date/time they were started.

Also, on the far right side of the blue breadcrumb bar, in this forum it says Forums --> Requests and Bugs --> Feature Requests there is a small button that looks like arrow coming out of a box. If you click that button, it will bring up a window with a link on the right side called "Recent Activity". Clicking this link will take you to a page that shows the most recent posts in descending order. This is not grouped by thread, it is strictly the most recent posts, so you may see two posts listed for the same thread, individually.

As mentioned, I did some research and the topic has come up a couple of times in the last couple of years on the support site for the software company and each time it has been dropped because of lack of interest due to the fact that it would involve special coding to not only reverse the sort order, which is actually quite simple from a database perspective, but they would have to deal with pagination including situations where new posts were added while moving from page to page.

While you do see this feature in other applications, it does take effort to develop the code required to handle the use case and without enough customers requesting a feature, software companies simply can't justify the expense and effort to develop a solution for a one off request unless the customer is willing to foot the bill for the development and testing efforts, and in some cases on-going maintenance.

BTW, thanks for making me realize that I need to dig through the tips and tricks section and clean out the stuff related to the old platform.

Hope all of this helps, even though it doesn't give you a solution for the post level use case within a thread. Unfortunately for that one, the best that can be done is clicking the little ball to the left of the thread title or the name of the thread by the most recent poster which will take you to the most recent unread post... but in ascending order...

3. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

Okay, so @Midniteoyl went and did some more digging and found an add-on that will do this but there are some decisions that have to be made at the server level.

He had to look the hard way because "sort" doesn't appear anywhere in the description ;)

Anyhow, I've tested it in Dev and it does work. You go into your preferences and select your sort order. It will be that way for everything, not just whenever you want to.

We can also set it up to move the quickly reply box to the top of the page or leave it at the bottom, and the original post can also be shown at the top of the page blog style.

It will be at least a day or two before I can deploy it into the live site, but I'll want to know your choices so that I can configure everything all at once.

Let me know if you want to get into the dev site to look at the options yourself, will just need to be coordinated because i have to manually flip teh option switches in the admin panel.