1. @bigdaddybrink1 Is Giving Away a DIY Kit to His YouTube Subscribers!!!

Thank You, Dan!!!

Contests, contests, contests!!!

2. Attn: New Forum for ALL Political Discussions

Please post all political discussions, opinions or info in the new Political Banter forum

IPV 5, starting ohms?

Discussion in 'Regulated Mods' started by dubya, Oct 14, 2016.

1. dubya

dubya Headbanging Blip

I am starting to notice a pattern with this mod. At first I thought it was the atty/atty's, but now it has been enough of them (and I tried them on other mods), that I am pretty sure it is the IPV 5. My best way to explain:

When I first put the atty on the ohms are wrong. Say I am built at .42 ohms, reader checks out. Another mod checks out (and vapes at that). I put in on the IPV 5 and it says .59 (for example) :confused: If I hit the fire button, it will drop to .42. Usually stays there as I vape it, but if I leave it sit for a bit, might jump back to say .54?

Anyone else experience this, or have any idea what is going on?

2. dubya

dubya Headbanging Blip

I'll give it one bump I guess, then just deal with it. Was really hoping someone else had the same problem and could enlighten me.

3. muth

muth More than a poop!

No, Ryan, I haven't had any problems at all with mine. I feel bad. Shawn didn't have problems either. Seems like you and @Just Me are the ones having issues. I got mine from MFS, if I remember right. But I can check to be sure if you'd like me to.

4. dubya

dubya Headbanging Blip

You would know if it was, I think. Jumps around enough to totally change the vape

5. muth

muth More than a poop!

Sorry, my bad grammar. I meant who you bought it from. I got mine from MyFreedomSmokes. And, no, I've never had the resistance jump around.

6. dubya

dubya Headbanging Blip

Oh, I got ya. I can't remember who I bought mine from :facepalm: It's really weird. I have been doing a lot of experimenting, and most of them just read wrong to start. One fire, and they go to where they should be and stay there :hmmm:

7. Simply Red

Simply Red Coiler and DIYer

Mine usually read within .02 ohms between the ohm checker and the iPV5 and doesn't jump around like yours either. Don't know what's up there, dude.

8. Shark Vape

Shark Vape Expert parker...

If you're using SS wire, you'll need to lock the resistance when the atty is cold.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. ghost62

ghost62 Goes Blip In The Night Staff Member Safe Zone Moderator

It's not that uncommon for mods to read odd when you first put a different build/tank on but it should settle to the correct ohms after firing it.
    There are two possible causes that immediately spring to mind- the first, Shark pointed out, your wire. Kanthal and NiCr should remain fairly constant but others can change resistance as they are heated. Lock in resistance when the coils are cold.
    The second is a lead being loose. Fire it several times to get the deck nice and warm and then check your trap screws. Often the posts and the screws are different metals (or different grades) and with expand and cool at different rates causing them to loosen. If that's the case, just keep an eye on the readings and tighten as needed.
    On a side note, I do this just as a matter of course- I always get my deck heated up BEFORE I loosen the screws. It cuts down on thread wear and helps prevent stripping the heads.
    Hope that helps.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  10. dubya

dubya Headbanging Blip

Only kanthol for me, but thanks for the tip if I do try SS.

11. dubya

dubya Headbanging Blip

I always check the screws when preheating and adjusting the coil, but never after that. Always known I should, but just don't. Thanks, I will give it a try.