Interesting info

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Bigdaddybrink1, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Bigdaddybrink1

Bigdaddybrink1 Recovering Alcoholic blip

Saw this on the TFA site. Figure I'll pass it along:

Custard Ingredients in Flavors
    *************************************************** NEW UPDATE 07/20/14

There is another custard note that has not had as much attention as the others, and that ingredient is Butyric Acid. Butyric acid is found naturally in butter and milk, as well as certain cheeses, and it is sometimes used at low levels to accentuate a butter note. It is not as commonly used at as high levels as Acetoin and Acetyl Propionyl, because if overdone it can lend a rather unpleasant aftertaste to a flavor. There are companies who are now using it more in place of Acetoin and Acetyl Propionyl, but in reality Butyric Acid can also be irritating when inhaled.

Also, Diacetyl can be found naturally in certain fruit extracts, so there is also the potential for trace amounts to be found in some natural extracts.
    The potential may be less for concentrated flavors not made with natural extracts.

Hope ya'll find it helpful!!

2. Donald Bickers

Donald Bickers Banished Blip Vendor

very helpful thanks

3. TheWestPole

TheWestPole A hit on Mr. Mitty

Really? Is diacetyl an additive in the extracts or a byproduct of the process?

4. muth

muth More than a poop!

That's a good question, I'd like to know too.....2 years later

5. TheWestPole

TheWestPole A hit on Mr. Mitty

Haha, Karen, and wow, two years of VB. At this point I don't care, just avoid those flavorings with diacetyhl. There are plenty of buttery flavorings without it. I'm not so into buttery anyway.