Impact of increasing VG percentage

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by InMyImage, Nov 1, 2015.

1. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

How much of an impact on flavoring do you find that increasing VG has?

Our ADV is cinnamon red hots and we started off mixing it at 60/40 pg/vg with 14% TFA CRH 8% TFA Sweetener.

Recently I switched it to 50/50 and it seems like it really muted the flavor, but it could be because the nic I'm using is different.

Do you guys think that changing the VG % has a big impact on the flavoring and if so, what kinds of adjustments to do you think might be required?

2. tierrataz

tierrataz New Member

I vape 84-89% VG and don't notice muting. Distilled water really helps open up flavorings. The viscosity change will help blending as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. dr3d

dr3d biker blip

Wow ...

My go to ADV is 5% TFA Cinn Red Hot (PG) and 4% TFA Black Cherry mixed 80+ vg. I say 80+ 'cause my recipe started as 80vg20pg but lately I've been skipping the PG and increasing VG contribution. I said wow 'cause I found Cinn Red Hot started losing potency over 5%. I haven't used a sweetener, but my mix vapes plenty sweet.

4. InMyImage

Really? Meaning you feel like it isn't as hot?

5. dr3d

dr3d biker blip

Pretty much Where did you start? 14% seems high. I went from 4 to 7 back to 5%. Some folks don't tolerate the level of CRH in my vape. The CRH is quite pronounced.

FWIW I sometimes mix with TFA Gummy or TFA Cherry Cola rather than black cherry.

6. InMyImage

I just made a batch of 240mls (2 - 120ml bottles) for my wife, Shelly and myself. But I'll try moving down and see what that does. Do you ever use TFA sweetener?

Sometimes I mix in blueberry candy and "sweet and tart". Make a pretty good blueberry sweet tart and the CRH seems to help the blueberry pop more.

7. dr3d

dr3d biker blip

Probably easier for me to mix a small batch at 14. I'm curious. I don't actually have a sweetener. Seems everything I've mixed has at least one ingredient that does the sweetening. Plus vg is plenty sweet my mixing is vg biased. I'll try to do that when I get home tomorrow.

8. InMyImage

So you normally just use 5% CRH? Are you using TFA CRH PG base or Alcohol base?

And then no additional pg, just pretty much max VG right?

9. InMyImage

I'm curious also, so I'll try to through together a small batch myself if those numbers are correct.

10. dr3d

dr3d biker blip

Yes. Nic at 4mg/ml from 100mg/ml PG base plus the Black Cherry at 4% which is also PG based so I land around 87vg13pg.

11. Wuzznt Me

Wuzznt Me Native Florida Cracker

What % distilled water do you use. I mix the max vg I can get with about 1-2% dw and usually a total of about 7-10% combined flavorings. Just curious about how much dw I could get away with.

12. tierrataz

tierrataz New Member

I have read peeps going as high as 20%. I use 10%. You have to watch as some nic vendors already add DW to their blends. Check viscosity for clues. I have found not all VG is equal in that regard as well. You can thin to PG viscosity but I wouldn't go thinner.

I did think the flavoring percentage was rather high, but taste is subjective. Additionally if ones sense of smell & taste has not returned yet, higher flavorings might be needed. The 8% sweetener could be part if the issue as well. Seems rather high in a 20% flavor mix. Sweeteners can mute.

13. InMyImage

Did not realize that. I've been up all night and am running on auto-pilot right now so not sure if I'll play with this today or not, but will in the next day or two because the flavor is important to Shelly. I can vape it fine if it's a little off but she wants it to be the same every time o_O

14. Wuzznt Me

Wuzznt Me Native Florida Cracker

Sometimes less is more on flavorings. 20% dw. Wow. I use 50/50 nic and it's a decent consistency but lowering my nic for my tc devices has resulted in more vg going into my mix and using more dw and sometimes alcohol as thinners. I agree about the sweetners though. Less is more usually with both them and flavorings. If I want something sweeter I use a couple of different ones rather than increasing any one and keep the % low, like sucrose. Doesn't take much of that to wreck a flavor.

15. InMyImage

Yeah, the issue is that we both like strong flavors and like it when the mix actually tastes like the CRH candies :)

I've managed to hit it spot on a couple of times, but recently it's been a fail and she's getting irritated.

16. tierrataz

tierrataz New Member

Every component has variables. Since you mention your nic is different, have you tried Vaping it plain? Most nics are not neutral or "invisible". Undesirable flavors could be solvents not stripped out properly, oxidized nic, or just a stronger nic taste than you had before. I've had some really rank nic in the past.

17. tierrataz

tierrataz New Member

@Wuzznt Me
    20% DW is for VG with 1% flavoring.
    I prefer 10% with 1% flavor in my mixes. Higher DW pops too much in a rda.

Those of us that don't tolerate PG had to come up with something. ;)

18. kelli

kelli The original blip

i was brought up with the rule of thumb "higher PG = more taste and throat hit, higher VG = more vapor". doesn't that still hold true?

19. Blue1

Blue1 Blip Charm Vendor

Yes but it also depends on the flavors...
    and yes higher VG does mute the flavor....I don't know about cinnamon....but for my cotton candy it does...but I don't mind for the most part I am after the vape experience....not the flavor....mine has almost none.....but I can sure make clouds....

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  20. InMyImage

Originally I was using 60/40 pg/vg but it does dry out my throat and dehydrate me more so I started gradually working my way to 50/50. This is the first batch I've actually done 50/50 though and may have something to do with it which is what sparked the question because the last batch was 55/45 pg/vg and was also a bit off.

I've been ordered to deal with nothing but medical bills tonight so I'll have to try the suggestions for decreasing the sweetener and CRH flavorings later but will definitely come back and update the thread with what I find.

One note for those giving suggestions, I mainly vape Kayfuns. I recently won a Horizon Phantom though and am really enjoying it. Really been surprised by how well the pre-made coils using stainless steel wire are holding up against gunking but that could also be a factor of the vertical coil with the cotton wrapped around the outside. It's my first vertial coil so I don't know much about how that affects the gunking up.

It's a .2 ohm stock coil and sub-ohm tank (of course) and will most likely be my ADV tank moving forward.

Just thought I'd throw that last bit out there in case it changes any recommendations ;)