help with drill bit

Discussion in 'Atomizers and Rebuildables' started by glassgrl, Jul 8, 2015.

1. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

I'm trying to make a Derringer clone into a bottom feeder. The center post is already part way hollow, so I thought it would be pretty easy, it's brass. Hahaha. No. I sorta killed the only 1/16" drill bit I have, supposedly titanium coated, part of a Ryobi set someone gave me.
    What kind do I need? Titanium but a better brand?

2. 100%VG

100%VG Did something go Blip?

The problem may have been how fast you tried to drill it. Take it in small depth cuts at a time, letting the bit cool.

This is a video set of a friend of mine doing that on an iGo S2.

He said he is using a 1mm Cobalt bit. 1/16" is 1.5875mm.

I hope this helps you. :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  3. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

Awesome. Thanks Vash VG! I thought the Fat Daddy thing would be easier but it calls for grinding this and widening that and I don't have stuff to do that. Yet. lol

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  4. 100%VG

When I have to cutoff a screw like he does in Step 3, I find a nut that will fit the screw (if I can) and screw it on up to the head. Then hold that with pliers and cut the screw threads with a Dremel Tool and a cutting disc. Then you can unscrew the screw and screw it back into the nut a little at a time to repair the threads. When it gets close to coming out of the nut, I press the screw sideways in the nut to help remove any burrs. You can then file the screw smoother if need be.

• Love This! Love This! x 2
    • List
  5. 100%VG

I'm VG, and you are welcome. I hope it works well for you! :thumb:

6. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

lol I'm Sorry (middle name) and not reading too well today. Thanks so much for the help and that trick for the screw!

7. 100%VG

Feel free to PM me if you need something else. :)

I'm not sure, but I think a Titanium bit would be better than Cobalt. But if you have to buy new bits, you could ask at the store which is best for your application. Bring the Derringer with you.

Do you have a Drill Press? I do.

8. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

I have a small Dremel type drill press and a small bench vise. Everything is small and portable for glass and jewelry but I think one or the other will work once I get the right bit for the job. I'll make a hardware store run tomorrow morning.

9. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

Got a couple drill bits today. The local little hardware store only had 1/16" cobalt, smallest they had. It worked really well, cut through like buttah. I did not have such good luck putting the juice hole in. lol It's not pretty but it works. Done. About $12 for the Derringer clone, $2 for a drill bit...14 isn't too shabby for a BF atty. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  10. 100%VG

Sorry I missed this before, but so glad it worked out well for you! :thumb:

11. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

Late to the party but for future reference, titanium coatings on drill bits is basically marketing magic but provides no useful purpose outside of preventing rust.

A drill bit's quality comes from it strength and cutting edges. Cobalt is the best material for bits, saw blade tips also.

Basically if you see cobalt as a feature of a hand or power tool (except simply being name of the brand of tools sold by Lowes) then it will always be higher quality than anything with titanium on it since the ti is just a coating.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List