1. Hello Guest,

VapingBlips.com is a social community of vapers gathering to discuss all things vaping and life in general. We have contests, play games, babble about nonsense and even share useful info about vape gear, e-liquids and DIY info.

We have no interest in spammers or trolls and our members have tools that allow them to remove offending posts if enough members rate it as spam or trolling.

We hope you like what you see and decide to register and join us.

If you have any questions, feel free to send an e-mail to [email protected] and we hope to see you soon ;)

Help Ethan get a special needs Adaptive Trike

Discussion in 'Purely Social' started by InMyImage, Sep 20, 2015.

1. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

Glad to hear via PM that this got sorted. Thanks again for helping out :)

2. InMyImage

I wanted to send out a huge thank you to everyone who has donated. Some of the donations have been anonymous and I hate not being able to send personal thank you notes to you, but understand that isn't what you are looking for.

I'm genuinely touched by the generosity of my fellow blips and can't believe that we are already 60% towards Ethan's trike and 25% towards the total goal for both trikes and the car rack.

Thank you all again, it really is appreciated more than you know.

• Love This! Love This! x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. InMyImage

Very happy to see that my relatives finally started chipping in today and we are quickly approaching the $900 mark :)

4. InMyImage

Woo hoo!!! Ethan tied his own shoes for the first time today!!!

carlton_dance.gif

• Love This! Love This! x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  5. kelli

kelli The original blip

good for him! i still have probs in that department. that's why god invented velcro. :)

6. InMyImage

Yes, life was a lot easier when his shoes came with velcro snaps! He loved the ones with the light up soles. He'd bounce around all over the place making those things light up. Ran the batteries dead on every single pair he ever had!

• Love This! Love This! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. InMyImage

It's official... today my pain management doctor signed off on the paperwork for me to get my own trike and the grant coordinator at AMBUCS should have everything entered tomorrow so now Ethan and I will both be able to get the trikes.

It's hard for me to tell you all how much this means to me. Before my back started having problems, I used to mountain bike at least 20 miles a day, and was just getting started on a path to becoming a semi-pro mountain bike racer in the "Cross Country" events. Mountain biking was a big part of my life. I loved being out in the countryside enjoying the sun on my skin, the wind in my face and the sounds of nature around me only interrupted by the noise of my tires on the dirt or the mechanical clicks and chunks of my drive-train in motion.

When I had my first accident that ruptured the disk at L3-L4, I didn't even realize it until the next day. I actually rode another 10+ miles to end the night and then discovered I was in trouble when I couldn't get out of bed the next morning. I wasn't tired or sore, I simply couldn't move my legs. Probably no surprise that it scared the crap out of me!

After that I was diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease, which is something that almost all of us get, but normally in our mid-late 60's, not our early 20's. After months of therapy and injections I was eventually able to get back on my mountain bike, but my hopes of racing were gone. I was never able to get comfortable on a road bike again and simply sold my road bikes and adjusted to the limitations that I now had to deal with as a "recreational" mountain biker instead of the Expert class racer I had become.

Fast forward to my first back surgery in 2008 and even recreational riding went out the door, so to think that sometime in the near future I might be able to ride a "bike" again is very exciting and I can't tell you how much it means to me that the generosity of my friends and family is what is going to help make that dream a reality. Asking for help is something that I don't do, so I really have to thank the friends who pushed me into starting the campaign to help raise funds for the trikes for Ethan and me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love This! Love This! x 3
    • List
  8. kelli

kelli The original blip

:)

9. InMyImage

Received my confirmation letter today saying I'm now on the wish list :)

Things are coming together so quickly and I'm really getting excited. The only disappointment I have is that I can't personally thank the people who donated anonymously so hopefully they are getting updates and know how much I appreciate their donations to help Ethan and I get these.

10. InMyImage

So when I took Ethan to his behavioral therapist today he used my phone while we were waiting. I had been browsing the site just before giving it to him and he saw our logo at the top of the page with our Blip. He sat there looking at it for a minute, kind of scrunched up his face and then burst out giggling.

I guess Ethan is a fan of us blips :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Love This! Love This! x 2
    • List
  11. InMyImage

I am very happy to announce that Ethan received his #Amtryke from #AMBUCS :thumbs:

We took it to his best friends house so that it would be a surprise and he could ride it safely in the cul-de-sac that she lives on without having to worry so much about him accidentally getting into the street ;)

2015-10-23 15.09.22.jpg

2015-10-23 15.05.29.jpg

Shelly, Ethan and I all want to thank you and tell you how much this means to us. You can see in the video a couple of examples of him looking at people's houses and losing focus on what he is doing leading to him running off the sidewalk or completely stopping. These are examples of why riding a bike without training wheels was impossible for him.

We plan to take him to a park with bike paths this week and will try to get some more videos of him then. We are hoping that without the distraction of homes and mailboxes that he will be able to focus on path :thumb:

• Love This! Love This! x 11
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  12. kelli

kelli The original blip

that is a cool machine....i am so glad he got it! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Blue1

Blue1 Blip Charm Vendor

I am also so happy...........you both deserve....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. InMyImage

Thanks. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to getting mine so that I can ride with him.

My father in law gave me one of those cargo carriers that he made years ago and I'm going to try to modify it so that we can use it as a rack for them and I won't have to spend the $500 to buy one that is made for specifically for carrying them. I have some ideas for it so that I can also use it to carry my scooter that I use when we go out sometimes depending on how much I expect to walk because just walking around the block is about all my back can take.

Hoping that using the trike will help me build up some cardio health and strengthen my legs up some since I've been so sedentary. Used a recumbent exer-cycle as part of my physical therapy and didn't have any problems with it, and took Ethan's for a spin around the block after putting it together and I don't think it's going to be much of a problem to ride for at least 20-30 minutes at a time. They have a special gel pad that they have set aside and are going to include with mine so hopefully that will help some too.

15. Reddhott

Reddhott A reddhot mess of a blip! Contest Organizer

sooo happy for you both!!:thumb: what a cutie he is too!!!!!:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  16. InMyImage

Lady killer is a better label. Girls, teenagers, women, pretty much females of any age are drawn to him.

We frequently say it's good that he is minimally verbal or we'd be in real trouble!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. InMyImage

It's actually funny because apparently he got invited to a Halloween party on Friday but couldn't tell us anything about it other than he was invited and that it was "over there" as he pointed basically out our patio door in the general direction of the back half of our housing development. :facepalm:

His friend apparently didn't get invited and knew nothing about it.

Not sure if it is good or bad that he didn't get to go because of it...

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic / Sympathy Optimistic / Sympathy x 1
    • List
  18. tgcrna

tgcrna Be good to yourself and kind to others...

I am so happy for all of you! Thanks for sharing the videos and pictures. I enjoyed watching them :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. InMyImage

Thanks and that is the cat in your new avatar has the biggest mane I have ever seen on a cat!

20. jj2

jj2 Tiggergirl A blip in the Deplorable Basket Contest Organizer

Thanks for posting the videos. Once he gets the hang of it, I bet he gets really into it.

This is one of those things that just make you smile!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List