1. Hello Guest,

VapingBlips.com is a social community of vapers gathering to discuss all things vaping and life in general. We have contests, play games, babble about nonsense and even share useful info about vape gear, e-liquids and DIY info.

We have no interest in spammers or trolls and our members have tools that allow them to remove offending posts if enough members rate it as spam or trolling.

We hope you like what you see and decide to register and join us.

If you have any questions, feel free to send an e-mail to [email protected] and we hope to see you soon ;)

Goodbye. Nominations for new Moderator open

Discussion in 'Purely Social' started by ghost62, Sep 24, 2020.

1. ghost62

ghost62 Goes Blip In The Night Staff Member Moderator Vendor Safe Zone Moderator

I guess a little background would help, huh?
    Several years ago, Marion formed a commission to combat the drug problem made up of judges, the prosecuting attorney, probation officials and representatives from the prisons and healthcare systems.
    A year later it became an official agency subject to county and municipal regulations.
    All appropriations, expenditures, staffing, services and programs must be approved by an oversight committee.
    Basically, a bloated beauracracy that spends all of its time infighting and currying favor without really helping anyone.
    The systems in place are completely ineffective. No real deterrent, no opportunity to lay a foundation for ongoing recovery, minimal counseling and support.
    It's such a joke that I know addicts that will deliberately pick up a charge when they run short on money or lose their place to live. Go in for a month or two, line up a place to crash when they get out and then repeat the process over and over.
    Until they overdose and die.
    Or pick up serious charges and end up behind bars for years.
    My wife's son has been locked up seven times this past year.
    It's the only life most of these people know.
    Our goal was to create a comprehensive program that provides both a serious deterrent AND meaningful and effective rewards for success- medically supervised detox, ongoing peer driven support, job training, GED programs, credit repair, job placement, housing assistance, legal advocacy to help navigate family court and probation/parole requirements... and that's just for starters.
    I had a conditional "fair use" lease on a secure facility that could treat the most 'at risk' addicts on an inpatient basis with all services under one roof and provide outpatient services to addicts more stable in their recovery.
    It was going to be independent of the county and courts, funded thru private contributions and multiyear grants but working in close cooperation with the drug court, probation and parole departments and the prisons.
    Within 3 years, we were to transition over to Medicaid billing and private insurance for 70% of our funding.
    My funding sources wanted us to have complete transparency with the court's financial oversight committee when it came to auditing the books but we were to retain control over the funds.
    Additionally, to get Medicaid approved, we had to have some form of public oversight.
    So, in short, the courts would audit us, transition drug court participants to us and, in return, we would report compliance.
    That's oversimplified but you get the gist.
    To get the property, I had to have unanimous support of the judicial committee. To get the funds, I had to have the facility.
    (next post)

2. muth

muth More than a poop!

@ghost62 I'm editing to add because it was too late to edit above. I just read your post from October after reading today's post. Now I understand that your area does NOT have proper rehabilitative services. Unbelievable.

As for all the political BS, I've been saying for a long time now that they want us dead. Our country is not the one some of us once knew. The corruption is so deep rooted that I think the entire system is an optic. If that illusion was peeled away I think most people would be horrified. And some of us wouldn't be surprised at all.

3. muth

muth More than a poop!

Thank you, I understand now.

And I am so sorry about your wife's son. Her heart must be breaking every day.

4. muth

muth More than a poop!

Geez @ghost62 I decided to do a Marion County search and wished I hadn't:p. No fun reading the news, that's for sure. I can see how beneficial your program would be.

5. ghost62

ghost62 Goes Blip In The Night Staff Member Moderator Vendor Safe Zone Moderator

One of the judges from the committee had to retire unexpectedly for heath reasons opening up a position that, mid-term, could be filled by an unelected appointee.
    This lackey's buddies cashed in some favors and got him appointed. To pay them back, he was to deliver them a win by hijacking and taking control of what we had built.
    The lease required that I begin using the facility for the approved purpose within a certain amount of time. This jerkoff knew that, so he demanded that studies that had already been completed be redone- just to slow us down. Then he made a motion that full financial control be given to an oversight committee that he was going to form. Wanted staffing to be approved by them. All treatment programs approved. Wanted to install his own center director that reported to him.
    If we didn't agree to all that, he would withhold his support, killing the project. And then, all he had to do was wait until I defaulted on the lease terms so the fair use lease could be awarded to his cronies.
    And that's what happened.
    He gave us the one down vote, cost us the lease which caused me to lose funding. The good faith money I'd put up on the property isn't refundable in the event of default.
    Then the politicians that backed him went to all the providers that I had lined up and told them I was not getting the facility, had no funding but that THEY would be happy to work with them for the good of the community.
    The same beauracracy that has failed time and time again is, for now, back in control and running things the way they always have.
    Nothing has changed.
    Yet.
    As I said, the model we created is gaining a lot of support in the outside community. The courts, probation/parole departments, department of corrections and the medical providers still want it but, unfortunately, everything is about appearances and I'm poison to any project right now.
    Contempt. Assault. A default.
    These things don't exactly inspire confidence, especially when you're asking people to write some pretty hefty checks.
    Again, it's not about me. If I had felt that Judge Jackass had a viable, effective plan, I'd have gladly agreed to his conditions but the only thing he was doing was blocking us and waiting to swoop in if we didn't play ball.
    He tried the same thing with 'Can Do', Marion's economic development program, and ended up pissing in the wrong Cheerios. A lot of established money and power back that program and they cut him off at the knees.
    In two years, when the original judge's term was to be up, he'll be gone. Meanwhile, I guess they're relegated him to being the judicial version of a waterboy.
    I won't lose sleep over that.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  6. ghost62

Marion is still in the Dark Ages.
    Everything here is political and nothing happens unless the good old boy network approves.
    Everyone is more interested in placing blame rather than combating the problem.
    Basically, the mentality is, "If it's not MY problem, it's not a problem."

• Optimistic / Sympathy Optimistic / Sympathy x 2
    • List
  7. muth

muth More than a poop!

Isn't there some kind of law against that? Can an attorney help you with that?

8. muth

muth More than a poop!

I don't mean to sound judgemental but that sounds like an awful place to live. The environment isn't supportive of your life philosophy at all. That just plain stinks. Ever consider moving?

9. ghost62

Yeah, it sucks as a place to live but, if we move, that means we give up on the people here.
    I used to be one of them.
    Going where it's easy means that's there are already systems in place to help and our presence won't make a difference one way or another.
    Wanna make a difference?
    Go where the fight is and fight until you got nothing left.
    Addiction kills. The survival rate is less than stage 3 cancer. It's less than heart disease. Less than diabetes.
    And very few people are fighting this fight. Effectively, at least...
    I've made it abundantly clear that I'm not a wishy-washy, 'I'm all right, you're all right' person.
    Punish the actions to the fullest extent of the law.
    Treat drug dealers as murderers.
    Eliminate the revolving door of our justice system.
    But the disease DISEASE while they are incarcerated. The stigma associated with addiction is that we are all criminals, thieves, prostitutes and homeless derelicts.
    We aren't.
    True, this disease pushes many people to those lows but none are beyond hope until they lose hope.
    My wife and I do our best to provide that hope.
    Basically, you go where the fight is.
    Amd we have a fight right outside our front door.

10. muth

muth More than a poop!

Understood

11. Glam

Glam Technically challenged beach blip.

We all wish you the best of luck @ghost62.