Resolved giving "likes" ... do we want this?

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by moecat, Apr 4, 2015.

1. moecat

moecat No sodding blips to give

Just thought I'd ask

2. kelli

kelli The original blip

yes, because i like almost everything you post. :p

3. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

I have found myself reaching to hit a like button a couple of times LOL

I'll look into whether board even supports it and then maybe a poll or something to decide if we implement it.

4. kelli

kelli The original blip

if you do implement a "like" system, could we import the ones we have at VU? :mrgreen:

5. InMyImage

How bought I just spot you 10,000 :lol:

I have already found some system mods to implement a likes system and see that someone has an extension (notice the difference "mod" vs "extension") for the newer version, which is why I'm holding off on implementing some things right now so that I can try to upgrade again.

The newer version has an alerts system similar to the "New Posts" and "Unread Watched Threads" feature that VU had which I think is a biggie.

Plus it is phone/tablet friendly without having to implement any apps.

There are also mentions of a dislike system, but if people see dislikes it seems like that could hurt how some people are seen which wouldn't make sense because most things that our group tends to dislike are more sympathetic types of posts vs something that was fundamentally bad about a post, which seems to be a bit of an issue over at reddit from what I can tell with their whole down voting system that hides posts made by people who don't have enough positive up votes which appear to get cancelled out by down votes.

6. muth

muth More than a poop!

I like the "like" button because then, at least, I know that someone has read it. I agree with you on the "dislike" feature. Unnecessary work.

7. InMyImage

Yeah, the dislike debate on the software support forum is what made me think about the whole "reputation" aspect of the dislike feature.

There are a couple of people who have implement methods of doing this, so I just need to decide which one I like best but because it is modifies the database and has to change as soon as the system is updated, I most likely will wait a couple of days. I'm hoping to target another run at upgrading Monday night just because I think it tends to be a slower night.

8. moecat

moecat No sodding blips to give

Bloody smart ass :p

9. Ld3441

Ld3441 Blessed blip!

+1 for like button!!
    I tend to do more "liking" than posting since you guys are usually way past what I am reading. :)

10. InMyImage

So that sounds like if you don't have a like button you'll post more... :huh:

11. kelli

kelli The original blip

or maybe if people like what she posts, she will post more. :)

12. InMyImage