1. Hello Guest,

VapingBlips.com is a social community of vapers gathering to discuss all things vaping and life in general. We have contests, play games, babble about nonsense and even share useful info about vape gear, e-liquids and DIY info.

We have no interest in spammers or trolls and our members have tools that allow them to remove offending posts if enough members rate it as spam or trolling.

We hope you like what you see and decide to register and join us.

If you have any questions, feel free to send an e-mail to [email protected] and we hope to see you soon ;)

Full Mech Switches: Cherry Bomber vs. Dimitri

Discussion in 'Unregulated Mech Mods' started by TheWestPole, May 9, 2015.

1. TheWestPole

TheWestPole A hit on Mr. Mitty

I recently found myself choosing between these two mechanical box mods. From the point of view of function, the contrast came down to switch design. Cherry Bomber uses a switch design very common in full mech boxes. If the tolerances are tight this switch can work quite well. But it has two weaknesses.

First, like switches in mech tube mods, it must carry current through the switch mechanism from a moving part to a fixed part. Some current passes through the spring itself, some where the moving pin contacts the hole it slides through. Neither are ideal ways of making electrical contact. We've all had the experience of having to wiggle a depressed tube mech button to get it to hit hard. That's why.

Second, the contact between the moving end of the switch and the 510 connector is a flat surface meeting a cylindrical surface. That makes the contact area very small. This is shy one often has to press very hard on the button to get full current.

Good tolerances and good springs can make this type of switch work very well, as many Cherry Bomber users will tell you. You can't count on that with inexpensive clones however. I have had two full mech boxes with this type of switch which I ended up replacing with wires and wired switches to get them to work well.

26505f7ed17b4a3408c712a6f042a6f5_1024x1024_picmonkeyed.jpeg

The main reason I ended up choosing the Dimitri was its superb switch design. No current at all passes through the switch mechanism. First weakness eliminated. And the contact point is two flat surfaces passing current over a greater area. If it's not hitting quite right, tough up those surfaces with some fine sandpaper. Second weakness eliminated.

dimitri_box2.jpg

BTW, the "full mech" designation has always seemed bogus to me. All that really matters is that the electrical current is not impeded in any way, either by the switch itself or the components connecting the switch to the battery. Massive low resistance materials, to the point of ridiculous over engineering, and the absence of wires are the bragging points of the full mech. The contact points by contrast often remain neglected and under designed. Props go to the savvy designer of the original Dimitri for focusing on the electrical path and contact points.

I almost feel guilty for buying the clone.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  2. Vash

Vash More than a blip! Vendor

Love the detailed info :)
    I have Castigador,Dos Equis and thinking of picking up Osmium too but now I'm looking again at the Dimitri as well.

3. TheWestPole

Nice to see somebody who isn't snotty about plastic. Plastic and wood (both insulating materials) have the best (warm) feel IMO. I'm going to post one of each of the same design in Stupid Mod Tricks. That particular plastic (acrylic) didn't take the heat of the modifications too well, but the result was the smoothest and softest to the touch. ABS or polycarbonate would have worked fine. Also will be posting a clear polycarbonate 26650 (SMPL) side-by-side mod with a custom tall Orchid atty to match.

But back to your gear. :) I've looked closely at the Dos Equis, but had my doubts about the switch and held off. Any comments from an experienced user?

4. Vash

Still waiting on the Dos Equis to arrive but once it does will let you know my first impressions and then compare it to the Castigador once that arrives.Tracking says Dos Equis should be here Tuesday :)

5. GFrost

GFrost blips on parade

I have the Cherry Bomber clone and have tried my friends Dimitri clone. Personally after trying both I prefer the Cherry. I felt like the Cherry hit harder than the Dimitri clone. I don't know what brand clone he had though, I know that makes a difference as well.

That's why opinions are just that... What I like might not be a good match for someone else and vise versa. Hope the Dimitri serves you well Pole:thumb:

6. TheWestPole

I doubt I would be unhappy with the Cherry Bomber. If I had a complaint about the switch initially, a little tuning would bring it to my liking I'm sure. That has always been the case for me with comparable tube mech switches.

The intent of this thread was not to offer my opinion about the mods but to analyze the switch designs, as one designer might do with another. I have learned something from both designs that will serve me in my own mod projects in the future. My hope in tech threads as always is to share thinking and experience with other technically minded readers, and be open to the same from others. What they do with it and what I do with it is of course a matter of personal interests and preference.

Enjoy, friend. :)

7. GFrost

GFrost blips on parade

Hey, Pole I keep looking at your photo and it looks like the trigger contact is different from mine. On the 510 in your photo it looks completely rounded. Here's what mine looks like. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

[​IMG]

8. TheWestPole

Yes, apparently some have flats, others not. Just found out today. Good for you, right? :) A couple others who replied over at VU also had flats. Another put flats on his round one. It's definitely something for CB buyers to look for though. Thanks for posting this.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  9. TheWestPole

BTW, that makes it easier to accurately clean your contacts too. Just work an emery board in the gap while gently pressing the button and the contact will remain perfectly parallel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. muth

muth More than a poop!

Tim, I don't have a Cherry Bomber in hand but my question has to do with what you mentioned above:

"Second, the contact between the moving end of the switch and the 510 connector is a flat surface meeting a cylindrical surface. That makes the contact area very small. This is shy one often has to press very hard on the button to get full current."

If you filed down the cylindrical surface on the 510 connector, to make it flatter, would the throw on the switch be able to reach it for proper contact?

11. TheWestPole

I don't have one in my hand either, but I would assume so. You don't need to put a big flat on it like on the model shown by @GFrost above. A small flat a few mm wide would do, and that would add practically nothing to the throw of the switch.

Are you thinking of getting one? I've got too many mod projects going on right now, but I've still been temped by the recent price drops:

Screenshot 2015-05-13 at 11.55.26 AM.png

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  12. Bigdaddybrink1

Bigdaddybrink1 Recovering Alcoholic blip

Very detailed review. I may now look at the dimitir. I have a cherry bomber clone but love it. Now a dimitri is call g my name.

lg g3 tapatalk

13. muth

muth More than a poop!

I was and when I saw the copper clone I really got excited. It's only because I like my Dimitri by Ivogo so much that I wanted the Cherry Bomber. But when you think about it, it's going to be like having the same hit only with a different look! Maybe the copper with a good working switch will hit harder but I don't really need that. It's just pretty and I'm a sucker sometimes:rolleyes:. Something tells me I probably won't get it.

14. TheWestPole

:D The copper one weighs as much as three aluminum ones! No exaggeration.

15. muth

muth More than a poop!

Hee hee, I know. Another weapon in the arsenal. In my neighborhood it would be like, "Don't mess with me, I've got a copper Cherry Bomber." And everybody runs away:laugh:

16. Vash

Tell me about it,already have Castigador and Dos Equis on the way and thinking of grabbing this and a Dimitri and Osmium too lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. TheWestPole

Looking forward to your comments on the Dos Equis, Vash. Don't forget now. :)

18. Vash

I won't :) Turns out I got the old shipping notice that's in reality not even on its way lol Hopefully soon

19. Vash

Dos Equis has arrived !

Overall I really like it ,size is fantastic for dual 18650 box.Does have sharp corners but doesn't bother me much.

510 adjusts by screwing atty on first and then inserting batteries so you get a solid comnection everytime.

The switch does take a firm press to fire but I like that and think it will break in over the weekend. That might be issue for some so I will report back in few days to let you know if it loosens up.

Only issue I really have is springs on battery door don't sit in tight to the battery door base but that can fixed easily . Battery door is not hinged but slides of completely so when swapping batteries damn springs keep coming out but as I said that will be fixed.

Once my Castigador arrives I will compare it to that as well.

Here's pic to show size next to King V1 and dual Hammond box.Very stealthy set up as you can tell.

Overall very happy with it and for the money is well worth it and it hits like a champ !

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. TheWestPole

Great size and nice body for sure! The main attractions for me too. Sounds pretty damn good so far. If the springs remain an annoyance, one of my possible modifications would be to fit screw contacts on the door a la Dimitri/Cherry Bomber. Springs are often a weak link.

Thanks, Vash. Let us know how that switch breaks in.