End of an era

Discussion in 'Purely Social' started by InMyImage, Dec 17, 2019.

1. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

It is hard to believe that a small group of friends became the first "Blips" after I quickly set up a small forum for us to use while waiting out a critical failure on another site. It was never meant to be permanent but the group liked the new digs and thus VapingBlips was born.

That was over 4 years ago, we have shared laughs and supported each other as true friends through both good and bad. Surprisingly Vapingblips grew organically but over time has gradually shrank back down to a small group of the original Blips.

When we started I always said that my goal was never to make money and we have never sold advertising or charged any sort of membership fees. The ads that you see are all affiliate links and because I was never focused on the money they were never maintained and therefore don't generate enough income to cover the site's expenses and it isn't something that I can justify continuing to financially support myself.

Therefore, I hate to say it, but I have decided to close the site when it's hosting plan terminates tomorrow.

Thank you for your friendship,

Bill aka InMyImage

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Optimistic / Sympathy Optimistic / Sympathy x 1
    • List
  2. muth

muth More than a poop!

@InMyImage Bill, it sure is great to hear from you but very disheartening to hear about our Blips. This is such short notice. Is there something we can do to keep it up a bit longer so we have a bit of time to regroup? Please? Can we fund the cost of the server?

3. muth

muth More than a poop!

Bill, not everyone is here right now and they might not know what's going on. Can you please give us more time? I'm practically hyperventilating. This is my family:(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. muth

muth More than a poop!

Bill, I'm sure the Beach and rest of us will be happy to finance the site. We had a fund raiser in the past why haven't we had another drive to finance the server? We can do it!

5. InMyImage

Hi Muth, I am working on backing up the server right now so that I might be able to restore it.

Unfortunately life is a bit upside down for me and I just didn't prepare for this very well. I've been personally paying the bill for hosting for about a year now which has been running about $150 every 3 months and this quarter that bumped up to $165.

I went through and looked at the activity over the last month and there are only about a dozen people actively posting other than vendors. Nobody has even bothered to update their status since September and unfortunately the bill is past due.

I have a list of everybody who has logged on in the last 60 days as well as every user who has ever joined the forum.

It might be good to have someone set up a facebook group or something which would probably be good given the current activity.

Wish I would have given more time, but my head has been buried in the sand for a little while...

• Optimistic / Sympathy Optimistic / Sympathy x 4
    • List
  6. muth

muth More than a poop!

I understand being in a difficult space. I wish I could be of some comfort and support. I've been concerned about you, truth be told, but felt helpless. You haven't been here in so long. I confess, I'm tearing up. Thinking about the VU exodus and how you stepped up to save the day! That was magnificent! Would you consider having us chip in to pay the quarterly bills if everyone is on board with that?

7. dubya

dubya Headbanging Blip

Oh crap, this doesn't look good. I would be willing to chip in for one more quarter to get some info from people and set something up?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. 100%VG

100%VG Did something go Blip?

Vapers United was established years ago by @jj2 on Facebook, and I was asked to setup a Forum, so the Vapers United Forum can be found here... http://vapersunited.freeforums.net/. Membership is Free!!!

I had asked Ghost a long time ago to help me setup a special place there for Vaping Blips. I did that months ago and I'll have to see if any of that is left. But if @InMyImage and/or @ghost62 want to help Moderate that Vaping Blips section, both of you are very welcome to join to maintain it. This is a Free Forum website from freeforums.net and it has Ads like those now seen on ECF now.

You can reach me about this at [email protected]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. muth

muth More than a poop!

I'm not sure what that means. I'm not tech savvy. Is there a way to have a "copy" of the forum so I have time to look things over and members info? There's also a treasure trove of vaping information here from @TheWestPole and @Shawn Hoefer

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. muth

muth More than a poop!

I'm hyperventilating, Ryan. I don't want to lose my friends. I just hope he can keep it going long enough for us to figure something out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. muth

muth More than a poop!

What does that mean?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. InMyImage

Basically I'm working on making a copy of the all the data so that I can get it back if I need to.

13. muth

muth More than a poop!

And you would need to for what reasons? Migrate over to another site like VapersUnited FreeForums?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. InMyImage

It's been a long time, but you all know me and this really has been tearing me up. I will make the payment for the site tonight but I HAVE to have this money back ASAP

I will see if I can't work with our host to get fit into a much cheaper plan and figure out a long term plan.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love This! Love This! x 2
    • List
  15. muth

muth More than a poop!

@InMyImage is that possible? To migrate this forum to Vapers United Free Forums? Should we all just register there?

16. muth

muth More than a poop!

Okay, there needs to be an announcement that everyone sees so we can all chip in.

17. dubya

dubya Headbanging Blip

I am good with paying a good part just for giving us some time. Thanks Bill, I really appreciate it. I think you can email me your PP no?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. InMyImage

Dub, there is the donate link at the top of the site, PM me if you can't use it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. muth

muth More than a poop!

What do we all need to donate?

20. muth

muth More than a poop!

What's this about VapersUnited? Is it possible to move Blips to a free platform so you don't have to worry anymore?