1. Hello Guest,

VapingBlips.com is a social community of vapers gathering to discuss all things vaping and life in general. We have contests, play games, babble about nonsense and even share useful info about vape gear, e-liquids and DIY info.

We have no interest in spammers or trolls and our members have tools that allow them to remove offending posts if enough members rate it as spam or trolling.

We hope you like what you see and decide to register and join us.

If you have any questions, feel free to send an e-mail to [email protected] and we hope to see you soon ;)

DIY Basics

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Simply Red, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Simply Red

Simply Red Coiler and DIYer

Now, there's a title. :blink: DIYing is very basic when you think about it. A little overwhelming to start with but, I found it quite easy and fun, actually. There's 4 ingredients that go into eliquid. Propylene Glycol (PG), Vegetable Glycerin (VG), Nicotine and flavor(s). I did the "(s)" because you could add 1 flavor to your mix or several depending on how complex your eliquid recipe is. So, let's get to it...

Recipes

There are several websites that have recipes or, you may just want to "tinker" around some yourself. A couple of websites I use for getting recipe ideas are...

e-Liquid Calculator

This particular website allows you to store your "flavor stash" and will tell you what you can make with the flavors you have that other folks on that site make themselves.

Kritikal Mass

This one just has a lot of good recipes and a few calculators, too. Haven't tried them myself but, they're there.

Some recipes can be hit or miss. Look for ones where other folks have made comments about a recipe. Ratings are always a plus, too. Keep in mind, though, some of the eliquids you'll make don't have to have 80 million flavors to be good. Some I've tried, myself have had as little as 1 or 2 flavors in them and they've been excellent. We'll talk more about flavors.

Eliquid Calculators

Let's talk eliquid calculators for a sec. There are several out there. A lot of folks like this one...

eJuice Me Up

A little complex, in my opinion. It requires you to download the "program" on your PC and is not "Apple" friendly. Additionally, some people use this calculator to measure by weight in grams. Last I checked, liquids are a "volume" measurement. Why complicate things?

The one I personally use is...

Ecigvape

This calculator allows you to use 1 to 10 flavors, adjust your PG/VG ratio, adjust nicotine strength taking into account what your base nicotine is (we'll talk more about that, too.) and save your recipe. Most calculators do allow you to save your recipes in some way.

PG/VG/Nicotine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are several websites that carry these products. To name a few...

EcigExpress
    Amazon (VG/PG only)
    Heartlandvapes
    My Freedom Smokes
    ChemNic

PG and VG, both, should be USP Certified and most places have Kosher on their label, as well. A higher PG ratio in your mix will give you more of a throat hit, and carries your flavors, where VG will produce more vapor or, clouds.

Now, here's the scary part. Well, not really if you take the proper safety precautions. In a word?.....Nicotine.
    Nicotine can be purchased in strengths from 3mg/ml to 100mg/ml and in a PG, VG or a ratio'd mix, such as 50PG/50VG. Caution and care should be used no matter which strength you decide to use. When handling Nicotine, gloves should be worn such as nitrate or rubber gloves. If your nicotine solution comes in contact with your skin, RINSE WELL IMMEDIATELY!!! You can get light headed and, in other cases if left in contact, nicotine poisoning could occur. Don't let it freak you out, just handle with care. Always think...SAFETY FIRST.

Flavors

There are, literally, hundreds and hundreds of different flavors out on the market. Just to name a few suppliers...

[​IMG]

There are several vendors out there where you can acquire a multitude of different flavors. Some of those vendors are:

The Flavor Apprentice
    Bull City Flavor
    Cat House Vapor Out of business. :(
    EcigExpress

Just to name a few of the various types of flavors you can get:
    Cereal flavors, chocolate and vanilla, coffee, fruits and vegetables, minty flavors, nutty flavors, savory flavors, creamy flavors, sweet or sour, tobacco and many more.

Look back to the recipes section. Your taste buds are going to play a big role in what your flavors are going to taste like. You might be missing something or you think something might need to be added. Start off simple, maybe one or two flavors and then build your eliquid from there.

Equipment

Do you need one of these?

[​IMG]

If you're an eccentric with more money than you know what to do with, go ahead and pick one up for yourself and have it installed. :facepalm: All you really need is a good, solid working surface. It can be your kitchen counter, your desk or even the dining room table. Just be comfortable wherever you're sitting. Some of the things I recommend that you get are (and this is very basic):

1cc/ml syringes (10)
    3cc/ml syringes (5)
    5cc/ml syringes (5)
    10cc/ml syringes (3-5)
    50cc/ml syringe (at least 1)
    Various blunt tip needle sizes (18g (flavors), 14g (PG), 16g (VG))
    Various bottle sizes (10ml, 15ml, 30ml, 50ml, 100ml)
    A box of nitrate or rubber gloves
    Eye protection if you think you need them.
    Baking pan with four vertical sides (to work off of in case of spills)
    A small bowl with water for rinsing
    Paper towels
    A small funnel

Other than the paper towels, baking pan and nitrate/rubber gloves and eye protection, STERILIZE EVERYTHING! You wouldn't buy a set of glasses from Walmart and immediately use them when you get home, would you? 15 minutes in boiling water should do the trick.

Most of these items, if not all, can be found at places such as Amazon.com or even eBay.

So, there you have it. The basics of DIY. From recipes and calculators to materials and equipment that you'll need. Remember, safety is paramount whether it be yours or your family and pets (should probably keep the pets out of the room :D ) that's around you when your mixing. Good luck and get to mixin'! :thumbs:

(The above are the opinions of the author. DIY eliquid at your own risk.)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. muth

muth More than a poop!

Thanks, Red. That was great! I have a question for you and any other DIYer who wants to pipe in:

Do you find that caramel flavors gunk up (blacken) your coils and chimney?

3. Simply Red

Simply Red Coiler and DIYer

Not really the chimney so much as the coils and that's probably because I add Ethyl Maltol (The Flavor Apprentice (TFA) Cotton Candy Flavor) aka - sweetener. Caramel alone, I'm unsure of. @Vash or @MRSpivey might be able to help us on this one.