Crocheting, knitting, quilting, etc...

Discussion in 'Artwork: Painting, Sculpture, etc...' started by tgcrna, Feb 19, 2016.

1. tgcrna

tgcrna Be good to yourself and kind to others...

Do any of you enjoy working with yarn or fabric? I have a feeling I am one of the few here who enjoys the 'old' hobby of crochet :rollseyes: My brother said I will make a good grandmother - smartass :glare: I do love to crochet and have been doing it since my early teens (a long time!). This is one of my favorite afghans...

image.jpeg

• Love This! Love This! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

That is gorgeous!!!!

3. Blue1

Blue1 Blip Charm Vendor

That is really nice.....I don't do a lot of work with yarn...but I love to use hemp cord....also paracord...I am good at braiding....

4. tgcrna

I would love to see some pic.s!

5. Blue1

Blue1 Blip Charm Vendor

Well I have some keychains/zipper pulls I made...check out my shop in my link......

6. daleron

daleron Just a lurking Blip

Beautiful Tink! :thumbs:
    I never could get the hang of crochet :(

Have some lovely items done by my mom & grandmother but that's it.

7. muth

muth More than a poop!

That's beautiful! I would like to crochet a coil. Have you ever tried that with some thin (32g + wire)?
    I've never crochet before. can you help me?

8. tgcrna

I don't rebuild (did one time, didn't have the patience, lol). So I have never tried crocheting a coil... didn't know they even did that! I can help you find some vids on basic crochet if you would like??

9. muth

muth More than a poop!

They don't, I thought of the idea but don't know if it would work. I saw a basic crochet stitch that I think might work. There's an old coil called the beard coil that might work. I'll take a look if you have some easy peasy crochet vids. Thx a bunch:)

10. tgcrna

That's a cool idea! Maybe you should patent the idea if you get it to work :thumb: As long as the wire is flexible (and I would think that thin of a gauge would be?) you should be able to crochet it. You will need a tiny hook, like you would use for doilies, etc (available at craft store, or Walmart). I will look for some videos for you :)

11. tgcrna

12. muth

muth More than a poop!

That's perfect! Just what I was looking for. Wow, I think I can do this. Thank you, tg:)

13. muth

muth More than a poop!

@tgcrna I have a metal crochet hook that says 1.1mm on one side and Tulip 5 on the other, which is probably the brand name. Would that be a good size to work with 28g wire? Of course. I'll just give it a try and see. It's pretty darn small! I'm going to practice with a ball of cotton string. But will probably need a bigger hook for that.

14. tgcrna

It will probably be easier to figure out how to do it with heavier yarn and a bigger hook.

I'm not sure what size 1.1mm is. The hooks I have only have the letters on them (D, E, F, etc) The smallest I have is a 'D' and am not sure if that would be small enough? I am sure they probably come smaller, for projects like tatting lace. Does yours have a letter on it?

15. muth

muth More than a poop!

Oh no! This is harder than it looks. I need a bigger hook for the string. Oh well, my cat and I had some fun with the string.

16. muth

muth More than a poop!

No, but the website has a size chart. let me see, brb

17. muth

muth More than a poop!

The aluminum hooks use letters and the steel hooks use metric numbers

18. tgcrna

It just takes some practice ;)

Yeah, trying to crochet around a cat can be 'interesting' :blink:

19. muth

muth More than a poop!

Plus, there are US and British sizing

20. muth

muth More than a poop!

I thought the lady in the vid was going slow until I tried it, lol. I won't give up. I'm going on vacation this Saturday so I'll have plenty of time to fiddle around. Maybe my sister knows how to crochet and can show me. This stitch should be perfect for a coil