Classical or Rock Stars?

Discussion in 'Music... making, creating, enjoying...' started by Sambuca, May 6, 2015.

1. Sambuca

Sambuca New Member

The devil or Liszt?

following up the evidence on Paganini, here's my "match, set, point" on Liszt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

those are the liner notes from:

gotta love it, when someone makes my point for me! but, actually, took many, many hours to "deliver" on Liszt. maybe his image has been rehabilitated, due to his late life transformation into a Catholic.

[​IMG]

from that article:

In the mid-19th century, Liszt was tearing up the polite salons and concert halls of Europe with his virtuoso performances. Women would literally attack him: tear bits of his clothing, fight over broken piano strings and locks of his shoulder-length hair. Europe had never seen anything like it. It was a phenomenon the great German poet Heinrich Heine dubbed "Lisztomania."

"We hear about women throwing their clothes onto the stage and taking his cigar butts and placing them in their cleavages," says Stephen Hough, a world-renowned concert pianist.

"Liszt was a very dynamic personality," Hough says. "He was someone who seduced people — not just in a sexual way, but in a dramatic way. He was someone who, like a great speaker, was able to capture an audience."

Before Franz Liszt, no one thought a solo pianist could hold anyone's attention, let alone captivate an audience. Liszt set out across Europe in 1839 to prove the conventional wisdom wrong. As part of that mission, he made a radical decision to never bring his scores onstage.

more on the "rock star":

Personality: A handsome, charismatic child prodigy. He was multi-talented – piano virtuoso, composer, conductor, teacher and critic. The young Liszt was well-known for his dalliances with several aristocratic ladies – his love affairs were popular gossips during his time.

Liszt enjoyed a luxurious life since he pursued lavish salary from royalty supports, performing, conducting and piano lessons. Besides that, he was a generous and kind man, who never ceased to encourage many young composers like Grieg, Smetana, Borodin, Rimsky-Korsakov etc. and even Brahms who hated Liszt’s music.

Read more: http://www.quotesquotations.com/biography/franz-liszt/#ixzz3a1RY5K3p
    http://www.quotesquotations.com/biography/franz-liszt/

A defining moment in Liszt’s life came in 1832. He saw the famous violin virtuoso Paganini perform, and afterwards resolved to become the greatest piano virtuoso of the day. He began practicing piano for 10-12 hours a day, mastering all of the most difficult playing techniques.

He toured all over Europe in the late 1830s and 1840s, dazzling, astounding, and shocking audiences with his electrifying and masterful performances. Princes and emperors showered him with gifts and praise, and he met all of the most powerful people in Europe. He stopped touring in 1847, after meeting Princess Wittgenstein. She convinced him to focus on composing.

https://franzlisztomania.wordpress.com/2010/06/18/franz-liszt-biography/

while that is a 5 minute post, it took untold hours to find and put in one place!

and now, for no particular reason, a "rock dove":

[​IMG]

when i have a chance, i'll post some particularly great/interesting Liszt/Paganini for anyone who wants to explore their music.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  2. Sambuca

Sambuca New Member

in case you don't know, i hate the radio! just can't stomach it. i miss tower records. i could spend hours in there, just searching for something that appealed to me. now, i can get lost on youboob or even amazon, reading reviews. i bought an ipod, recently, and i've been looking for some tasty treats to put on there. durn thing is almost full! there's enough Todd Rundgren, Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk on it, so i've been searching some classical music to add some depth and variety. i started with Liszt and have been exploring other composers. i love me tasty acoustic guitar, but most of the stuff i find is Bach. i don't know much about Bach, so i've chosen a few albums, so i can see if i like it. it was while i was perusing amazon that i found out that Paganini also played and wrote music for guitar, generally, guitar and violin music, though there are a few concertos. the violin tends to drown out the guitar, to my ears, so i found this album by Marco Tamayo. the very first song struck me. i could hear bits and pieces of Steve Howe and Paco DeLucia. i was listening to one of the caprices and almost stopped the ipod. not cuz i didn't like it, but because i was trying to "count" the guitars! doh! there's only one! i'll post it, when i find it. it wasn't #24 that everyone seems to play. the first song, however, is a sonata for violin and guitar. i really, really like it! i didn't know, if Tamayo was playing the guitar part, the violin part or a combo of both. still don't, actually! for now, i'm enjoying it for what it is, but i'll put the duo that i found on youboob, right after it.

the solo:

the duet:

the latest "find" is Xuefei Yang she fell in love with recordings of John Williams and is now "in love with" classical guitar. Miss Yang takes old "classical" Chinese music and transposes it for the guitar. well, this ain't Morticia Addams! (i'll just see who gets that! :p). i chose this vid, because the "sync" is nearly flawless. it's live in a studio. the intro bites, but give her a listen. i have the album downloaded and ready to go on my ipod! ;)

3. Sambuca

Sambuca New Member

dang. no one has uploaded the entire 5th Caprice. that's the one that sounded like 2 guitars, but here's a sample:

i was listening to Xuefei Yang's 40 Degrees North and had a bit of a deja vu...how many guitars?

really liked the song after, as well:

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Sambuca

Sambuca New Member

lmao! i had no idea that Steve Vai was giving a nod to Paganini! and "pretending" to get beat by the karate kid! lol!

here's another version of the 5th. who knew Paganini was "shredding" almost 200 years ago!

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. neojuice

neojuice PiL b

Classical or Rock Stars--fantastic thread !! Brilliant work Sambuca !! Well done !! Re: the NPR piece here's Lang Lang rockin' out to Liszt !!

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  6. neojuice

neojuice PiL b

Paganini on two different Stradivarius violins

7. Sambuca

Sambuca New Member

Lang Lang is probably the most popular player of Liszt today. for which he gets grief for being flashy...duh! how else are you gonna play Liszt! he has an entire album of Liszt. the more i listen to Paganini, i'm beginning to think the rock'n'roll invented nothing, Paganini wrote the the book on guitar, though he did most of it on the violin. and with Liszt covering the keys, you'll find every great piece of rock contained in there somewhere!

i'm totally falling in love with Paganini's grand sonata for violin and guitar, except i like it done solo on guitar. i would wonder why we've never heard it, but, the obvious reason is that no one can play it!

downloaded Filomena Moretti's cd that has this on it: