1. Help Support to Vaping Blips This Holiday Season!

When Shopping on Amazon or eBay, Please Use the Links at the Right Side of Each Page

1. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

You're awesome. :)

2. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

Coober Pedy (Australian) opal and topaz necklace:

IMG_3479.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Love This! Love This! x 2
    • List
  3. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

I saw a ring I admired on someone on a TV show I recorded......"Billions", on an actress named Maggie Shiff. She's a brilliant actor. She also played "Tara" on "Sons of Anarchy". On Billions, she is a quietly reserved but confident psychologist/professional corporate coach who is an S&M enthusiast (with her husband) in private. On the show, she wears clothing and jewelry that is often subtly suggestive of her private life. That style is one that I love. Although this piece is not suggestive of her character's private lifestyle, I just love it. I made it for someone with long fingers, like me. I'll be making one for myself, I love it so much. Sometimes the simplest pieces are the most attractive and satisfying to make. IMG_3489.jpg

IMG_3494.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Love This! Love This! x 3
    • List
  4. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

Both stunning pieces @Lisa66 !!! The ring looks great! And I'm a total sucker for opals and textured metal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  5. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

Thanks, Becca.

Tonight I made some more punches out of nails to go with a tulip stamp I purchased (just the flower head). The supplier doesn't offer leaf stamps to go with it; at least ones that look like tulip leaves. I had already made the little short one and have used it many times. Crappy stamping job, but par for the course :).

IMG_3522.jpg IMG_3523.jpg

• List
  6. tgcrna

tgcrna Be good to yourself and kind to others...

I’m going to have to try making some stamps! Those are great, Lisa :thumb:

7. muth

muth More than a poop!

I like that ring! I'd even like it if it wasn't textured. But that's a nice touch.

8. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

Punches out of nails??? Do tell please. I think it looks awesome!

9. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

3" 10d common nails. Heat the working end until red hot, don't quench but allow to air cool. Form with whatever you get your hands on - but make sure to protect the jaws of jewelry pliers (if you are using them) with a few wraps of tape and check often to make sure they are still covered. You have to anneal numerous times, since they are shaped cold; I don't have tongs tiny enough to hold them while being shaped on my anvil while hot, lol.

When you're happy with the shape/image, Heat the working end to red hot and immediately quench in water to temper (harden). I use a grinder and sandpaper to finish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  10. glassgrl

glassgrl Blippertigibbit

Thank you!!! Always looking for tools to texture glass.

11. MRSpivey

MRSpivey Faith, Hope, & Love...

A little more progress:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  12. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

@glassgrl ..... Thought of a couple other things. I cut the point of the nail off with a small hack saw before beginning to work it, depending on what I am doing. That is true of the ones above, since I was going for linear shapes and was trying to go for the most uniform, even edge before grinding.

Also, although at 3" the nails are long enough to use as a punch, they are still fairly thin to grasp in your hand. Many layers of some kind of tape help you to build up thickness wherever you like to hold a punch/stamp, plus help you grip it better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  13. MRSpivey

MRSpivey Faith, Hope, & Love...

What about using a tiny pair of vice grips?

14. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

That could work, along with a gloved hand (burns).... guessing handles would be short, too.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  15. Lisa66

Lisa66 Read my blips

Copper prototype. “Garden” bracelet. Rough. Trying out stamps.

IMG_3552.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • List