1. @bigdaddybrink1 Is Giving Away a DIY Kit to His YouTube Subscribers!!!

Thank You, Dan!!!

Contests, contests, contests!!!

2. New Contest - Win $20.00 from My Freedom Smokes

Thank You ReddHott

Contests, contests, contests!!!

3. Attn: New Forum for ALL Political Discussions

Please post all political discussions, opinions or info in the new Political Banter forum

And another thing

Discussion in 'Enhancements or Changes' started by neojuice, Apr 27, 2015.

1. neojuice

neojuice PiL b

Isn't it Bent Dreams in an Alternate Universe? People want to be in an alternate universe; they want to be on the best place on the internet. They don't want to have their dreams bent. They want to be in an Alternate Universe in which their own little bent dreams have a home. Change the title. If the change fails, change it back to just AU. One issue is that AU is the symbol for gold and the name of Australia so Bent Dreams AU is misleading to the literate. The font for Bent Dreams as shown above looks very nice with the shadowing and everything so just keep it going and go back to the original title and everyones bent dreams will have a place to thrive and prosper.

Or take a poll

The domain name is bangin' so just spell out the whole much better title at the top. You've got the best of both worlds right now. Bentdreams.com and the best reality in the world. Bent Dreams in an Alternate Universe.

2. TheWestPole

TheWestPole A hit on Mr. Mitty

Point taken as to the literal meanings, and the abbreviation. The writer in me squirms though at the full title. Something about the double qualifiers of bent and alternate, and the near-redundancy of dreams and universe. Don't know about you, but my bent dreams are in this universe, and they are already implicitly alternate. Bent Dreams by itself has the virtue of being clean and understated, though the bent part sounds a bit arch/posey to me.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. neojuice

neojuice PiL b

Great Ideas in a Blue Room. That's double qualifiers? Yeah, you're right. OK then just scrub the AU and go with the clean Bent Dreams.

4. kelli

kelli The original blip

i think that the "alternate universe" was brought over as homage to where most of us gathered in the other place. it was a thread originally created by me last summer. but it doesn't necessarily have to live on here, especially if it is awkward.

5. muth

muth More than a poop!

I wouldn't call it awkward. It was a thread over at VU, why couldn't it just live on as a thread over here? But yes, trying to include it with the original name of this site does become a bit awkward. This place happened because of AU and, maybe, that's why Bill wanted to include it somehow.

6. kelli

kelli The original blip

well i just don't want it to turn into a "thing". maybe there should be a poll or something, i dunno. doesn't really matter to me one way or the other. we still have the AU thread here, so what does it matter if it's in the site name or not?

7. moecat

moecat No sodding blips to give

Non-issue for me.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. kelli

kelli The original blip

everything is.

9. moecat

Finally ... an opportunity to disagree with you :p

10. moecat

Ok, if forced to decide at gunpoint, I would say, "keep it simple" ... "Bent Dreams," period.

If one really wants to get philosophical, it can be argued that "bent dreams" has too many hallucinogenic drug implications for a vaping site.

But I'm not going there ... :rolleyes:

11. InMyImage

InMyImage Geeky blip :) Staff Member

As Kelli mentioned the AU reference is simply a homage to where we originally came from which was more the Alternate Universe thread than VU in my opinion. It's why I went to VU every day.

I personally don't have a problem dropping it over time which is the reason why I started to minimize it with the new logo and expected that in the near future once a more permanent logo is put together, that it would potentially get dropped altogether or incorporated a bit less conspiculously. @TheWestPole is working to get an artist to create a logo for us that would really capture the bent dreams theme, but we are not sure if the artist is going to do it or not, especially for free.

As mentioned a couple of time, "Bent Dreams" was for a metal working art form that I picked up a hobby called "Chasing and Repousse" and it was easy to throw a temporary forum up on it for us to chat on.

If people want to suggest and possibly vote on a new domain name, I'm completely open to that too, although it would probably need to be decided on before TWP's artist friend actually does anything for us, because if it is going to change I'm not going to disrespect the artist by throwing away his work.

Granted a domain change would need to be coupled with a hosting plan change and that isn't going to happen unless we raise the funds to do it anyway...

12. kelli

kelli The original blip

i think the name bentdreams is cool and all, but do you think maybe since we are foremost a vaping site, a name more befitting that would be more appropriate? just thinking out loud.

13. Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl Seriously Committed

We have thrown around a bunch of ideas already. You have to remember that, as Bill said, a change would require a new IP and domain name, as well as a change from the artist. While neither is all that difficult, we have been focusing on the actual software and change requests to it. Its a little more than simply slapping stuff together and flipping a few switches or writing a script to reload 800 videos. There is more to it. Add in the fact that we are both disabled, living on a very meager income, have disabled/ sick/ dieing people we are also taking care of, and current funding thus from our own pockets and time, it just might, might, take a little time ;)

14. TheWestPole

TheWestPole A hit on Mr. Mitty

Yes, please let's decide to go with the domain name or not. My labor is at stake too. (My writing in trade for his art.) I for one am okay with the existing domain. I like that it has a history with IMI, just as AU has with Kelli.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  15. kelli

kelli The original blip

i cannot tell you how insensitive i feel right now. of course you guys have gone above and beyond to set this place up and make it as nice as possible for us......all done when you have many other things to worry about. please pay no attention to my ramblings....it was thoughtless to have posted those things.

16. muth

muth More than a poop!

Ha ha ha, that's why I suggested a psychedelic design:D

17. InMyImage

I'm okay with the discussions and requests for change as long as people realize that they have to be prioritized. Over the last 3 weeks I'd estimate that I personally have put at least 300 hours of work in to pull this all together and I know that @Midniteoyl has put in quite a few as well trying to get the main free option to do everything we wanted. In the end a lot of our decision came down to ease of maintenance, ease of migration, and the fact that the software we are using has an active development team working on it, while the free open source software is worked on as people have time and interest.

When setting this up, I did spent quite a bit of time looking at domain names but most of the ones I looked at were variations of "alternate universe"

18. kelli

kelli The original blip

totally understand. please forget anything i said. vapid, ya know.

19. InMyImage

Nope. Suggestions are always good as long as they come with understanding and flexibility ;)

As for the domain name, it's complicated simply because you have to find one that is good and available (key part) then pay for it along with the private registration costs to hide my personal info from prying eyes, then you have to have a hosting plan for it, and right now it doesn't make any sense to do that without moving to a plan that is appropriate for the not only the traffic we have now but one that can accommodate growth in the future.