A kinda noob needs a mentor for coil building

Discussion in 'I Need Help!!!' started by williamhucketech, Aug 12, 2016.

1. williamhucketech

williamhucketech Dedicated Poster

So back when I had a Asmodeus snow wolf 200w I did some simple 2 wire twist it boosted the flavors so I did a 2 wire twist on a 2 wire and even better clouds and flavor but I got rid of it due to mod wigging out on me and going into tc when I had no tc coils and did not put it in tc any ways i could use a wise teacher that knows there stuff and a list of what I need to start off with

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

2. fq06

fq06 Active Member

I'm not familiar with snow wolfs chip but I've never heard of a mod kicking you into temp control, only out of if your coils are loose in to post or the wrong wire for your setting.

TC... for me at least... works best when the wire does not touch itself.
    i.e. spaced coils work best for an accurate resistance gain read.

If trying twisted in TC the twist needs to be realy tight and claptons need to have the wrap wire pulled away from the wire that goes into the post to get a really solid pinch on the core wire.

But if your trying to run your quad twisted wire in power mode and it is kicking you into TC mode, I'm not sure how to help you on that one.

If you're looking for advice on a mod, yihi and dna chips are some of the best so you shouldn't have issues with getting kicked out of power or TC mode if your using the correct wire.

Wire either SS 316L or SS 430.

A million places for 316 and for 430 http://www.unkamensupplies.com/prod...e-nickel-free-introductory-sale-100-guarantee

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  3. williamhucketech

williamhucketech Dedicated Poster

Thanks is there a preferred set of tools that you use?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. muth

muth More than a poop!

Do you find that true on claptons that use identical material for core and wrap? So far, I haven't noticed any issues on mine where I haven't pulled back the wrap wire.

5. muth

muth More than a poop!

Just a note on Unkamen Supplies......The last time I ordered surgical grade ss from them they sent me jewelry grade. They did refund my money but, first, tried to convince me it was the same. Then they said that their packer made a mistake. I don't order from them anymore because I can get better or equivalent for less money. Sorry, but I just have to put this out there; I think they got too big for their britches when they gained high reputation for supplying evolve with nickel wire for their beta testing.

6. muth

muth More than a poop!

Do you mean basic tools for building or for making coils like Claptons, etc.?

Assuming basic building tools, you really only need something to snip your wire, something to wrap it around and tweezers to make contact coils and help pull your wick through the coil. And scissors to cut your wick. Most people have those around the house. Nail cutters, precision screwdrivers and tweezers. Most attys give you a tiny screwdriver or allen key for your post screws.

That being said, after a few builds you'll probably realize that buying a pair of good wire snips, and owning ceramic tweezers and a sharp pair of scissors will be a good investment. I like those new Gizmo grip/tweezers for a few bucks. IMO, every vaper should have a pair. I also like precision picks for fussing with my wicks. Some people use curved dental picks.

I hope that helps. The only other thing I can add is you might want to buy a coilmaster. Many people like them. I don't use mine anymore because I tension wrap my wire using a drill and bit.

Maybe someone else can chip in with other suggestions or fill in where I might have left out.

7. f1r3b1rd

f1r3b1rd Dedicated Poster

I use a simple set of building tools

toenail clippers
    ceramic tweazers
    screwdrivers
    alan wrench
    and a coil jig - I use the coilmaster jig but whatever youre comfortable with

when I first started building I just cut up a hanger and used the straight part as a jig

I youre using a mechanical than I would definitely suggest you get an ohm meter. with a regulated mod, you're fine using the mod.

I can see the original snowwolf bouncing in and out of tc if you are building low. That mod was only setup for tc with nickel.

keep your Kanthal builds about a 0.2ohm load and you should be good to go. If its still kicking in and out it may be time to consider another option.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. muth

muth More than a poop!

Since you mentioned this I started noodling around with some tanks placed on different mods. My Serpent Mini has a Clapton with a ss core and kanthal wrap. It has been firing in TC mode on my Presa 100W and IPV D2 in Ti mode with no problems. However..........I put it on the iStick Pico and no go in TC, nada. Thx for bringing this to my attention. When I have time, I'm going to see what it does on my other TC mods. Very interesting.

9. fq06

fq06 Active Member

What they said ^^^ :D

On claptons, I first tried with kanthal to play with it then built ss316 26/30. I'm a TC junkie and wasn't happy with how they performed. Almost like they weren't being controlled at all other than by watt/joules setting. 350j chip wouldn't kick them out of TC but didn't run right. Rx200 chip wouldn't even run in TC.

Then I pulled back the outer wrap and just captured the core wire and got correct TC performance out of the 350j... haven't actually tried on the rx again. I'll give it a go on the rx tomorrow now that I think of it.
    Now that I pulled the chip out of my sx mini and built a dual cell box that is my daily so the rx doesn't get much use.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. fq06

fq06 Active Member

Nothing wrong at all with pointing out an issue with a vendor that is not selling what they are advertising :toast:

11. muth

muth More than a poop!

The Joyetech type chip and the Yihi chip runs it in TC but whatever is in the Eleaf (Pico) would not.
    I could configure the Reuli for a multiple wire build but, frankly, it's not worth my time. I'm not that into it like some people are. Maybe if I had a Ni/Ti for example, I would have to but I pretty much use ss these days. I have friends who build these crazy 3 material mixes and claim the flavor is stupendous. But I'm just not that motivated and I've been pretty happy with ss. I try to keep it simple for myself. Maybe if I was retired with nothing to do I would play all day with the DNA200's capabilities. Not today:rolleyes:

12. fq06

fq06 Active Member

I'm in the same camp, SS is my fave and ain't nobody got time for that:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love This! Love This! x 1
    • List
  13. f1r3b1rd

f1r3b1rd Dedicated Poster

I'm lazy.... I buy ss316 Clapton and fused Clapton in prespun rolls from advanced vape supply.
    the work spotless on my sx350j and dna200/133/75 mods.

14. muth

muth More than a poop!

I do the same thing but when I have the time, I do get a kick out of spinning wire. There's a great jeweler's tool that looks like a small torpedo that holds your wrapping wire while you spin. I've been meaning to post that thing here but gotta run, make coffee and see yawl later. And a good morning to you:)

15. Shawn Hoefer

Shawn Hoefer Seriously Committed

Pieces parts, hmmmmm...

My favorite jig is the Anyvape Tenna, although I have a Coilmaster V3, a jewelry coil making thingy, and had a Kuro Concepts setup that I PIFed. That said, I find I use a set of precision screwdrivers at home, and a jeweler's mandrel on the road more than any jig.

I have 4 sets of ceramic tweezers. Two are the metal, two are the plastic tank gripper variety (not a fan). One of the metal sets is in my travel kit, and one is on my desk. The plastic ones are in a jar, somewhere. I also have a small, very sharp set of bent nose tweezers I really love for wicking.

I have a set of long nose pliers, and about a dozen other pliers that I don't use.

Cordless drill.

Flush cut wire nips.

A 44 piece set of precision screwdrivers for oddball hex, etc...

3 ohm readers (a backup, a travel unit, and a 521 tab.

Also, an old multimeter.

Most of my TC builds are SS316L, but I also use Ni200, SS430, and Ti#1. For power builds, there's a lot of Kanthal A1, and a little bit of Nichrome 80. All TC builds - in fact almost all regulated builds - are spaced. Most all of my mech builds are contact coils.

16. muth

muth More than a poop!

I've always wanted a pair of bent nosed pliers but have a hard time finding them, or at least at a reasonable price. Those Gripper Tweezers are good for stuck things but I don't care for the tweezer part that much. The tips are too blunt to fluff up your wick, for one.

17. muth

muth More than a poop!

I found one of the jeweler's tools for wrapping wire I mentioned in above post. Some look a little different but basically a torpedo shape. imo.

18. Shawn Hoefer

Shawn Hoefer Seriously Committed

Something like this:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

19. muth

muth More than a poop!

No lovey, something like this. But if you click on the vid it will take you to the ring clamp that she uses to wrap wire around the core.
    [​IMG]

20. muth

muth More than a poop!

I wouldn't mind owning a pair of those nylon jaw pliers, too. Handy for straightening out wire on the fly.